Fuel calculations

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Hi guys,

I know that during the cruise, pilots check their fuel....to see if they've got a leake etc.

I was just wondering what the equations for these calculations are so I can do them in my PMDG 737-600 😉

Also...what other checks should I be doing in the cruise for the 737??

Thanks 😉

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

This might be of use - and its used to see if you have enough fuel remaining so you can see if you need to divert:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/fuelconsumpgphcalc.html

If you want to do it yourself then...

Fuel required = (Consumption - using RPH × Flight Time) + Reserve + Start-up and Taxi

You can do this in flight to see if you will have enough fuel for the rest of the flight by comparing it to what you actually have on board.

As for other monitorings in cruise...if consists of checking fuel as mentioned above, checking engine read-outs (i.e. monitoring N1, N2, EGT, FF etc), checking weather reports, checking and establishing the diversion airport and calculate fuel required for that divert as well as checking weather reports for that diversion airport. Also, check and verify you understand the approach plates and ground charts of your destination and divert airport. That should keep you busy.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks Jon 👍

But are you saying that looking out of the window isn't the done thing 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Not in this case...

http://www.airliners.net/photos/middle/1/7/1/1023171.jpg

Caption:
The sun at FL400 can get really annoying sometimes

😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

LOL 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

Pilots make a dead reackoning log before going in a cross-country flight.
Using the fuel consumption/burn for their aircraft, one of the section of the log consists of putting remaining fuel at each checkpoint, and the fuel burned during that leg. This is done before the flight, and pilots check the log to be sure everything is going as planned...

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...