FS9 Running SLLOOOWWWW

hi, fs2004 fairly good... but most of the time it pauses or shutters... it's mainly when i am doing something important (like landing Mad ).. so i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get it to run smoother... also i have the fs2004 settings to about normal and the ones that made it slow are turned down.. so they shouldn't be decreasing performance

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Tell us your computer specs, CPU, ram, video card, OS etc, and then we can possibly help.

It's slower at airports and big cities because the are graphic intensive areas, one you get out of them the graphics are less so the aircraft stops stuttering.

Radar

RadarMan wrote:

Tell us your computer specs, CPU, ram, video card, OS etc, and then we can possibly help.

It's slower at airports and big cities because the are graphic intensive areas, one you get out of them the graphics are less so the aircraft stops stuttering.

Radar

i think this is what you need-- Comp.: Windows XP; AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 1.30 GHz, 256 MB of RAM

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I have a rather old PC and your CPU is less than mine.
You need more ram, at least 512mb or 1 gig if you have the $ check out www.crucial.com.

You don't say what video card you have. With a machine as old as that it probably is about a 64mb one, you do need better.

Shut off shadows, water, and textures. Lower clouds and traffic as low as you can while still enjoying it and keep the other settings at default or lower if possible.

See how this program works for you, it'll free up some of that memory.
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2948/fsautostart-v11/

Let us know how you do.

Radar

how would you change the amount of MB's you use without paying (because i think i can.. i just don't know how :\ )

Pro Member First Officer
CaptDennison First Officer

Believe it or not, one of the things that I did that worked, was to adjust the Frames Per Second.
I had always ran my setting at about 24 FPS--I had read that setting it to Unlimited would speed things up. I tried it-IT WORKS!

I went from solid 24FPS to 50-60+ FPS

Give that a try

Capt. Dennison

i think that it is already @ unlimited... im not really sure- but i'll check in the morning- well thanks for the info everyone!

meylan Guest

you could try upping the vitual memory im not sure if this will have any effect or not but i upped mine and the performance seemed to increase . go in to the start menu right click my computer ,click properties,click the advanced tab , in the performance box click setting and then click the advanced tab .in the vitual memory box click change and change to your desired amount . 🙂

as i said im not sure if this actually betters the performance fs9 .it might be just me thinkin its become better so if anybody knows about vitual memory am i right or wrong 🙂

okay i changed it to "for best performance"- it changed the format of the things (like its not the XP format, it's the older one) but i don't mind.. Im going to test it out now- hopefully it works!

yeh , i didnt change that , i went into the advanced setting after that and changed the actual figure from 288 mb (i think it was ) to 500mb , but let us know how you go on 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

Anonymous wrote:

okay i changed it to "for best performance"- it changed the format of the things (like its not the XP format, it's the older one) but i don't mind.. Im going to test it out now- hopefully it works!

I think all you changed is the way Windows displays the desktop. Virtual memory is actually a file on the HD that Windows uses to store data when it runs out of physical memory. You will usually get best overall system performance if you let Windows manage the pagefile size. Since hard drives are many times slower than physical memory you experience a performance hit whenever Windows has to get data from the pagefile. You need more actual physical memory to see any gain in performance in FS2004. Until you can do that make sure nothing unnecessary is running when you run FS2004 and play with the performance sliders. You may be better off running FS2002. Like you and radarman I have a marginal computer for FS2004. I was not planning on gaming when I built it and had limited money to spend on it.

it seemed to work- but i didn't get to play it because i had to go out and do other stuff... but anyways, it seemed to go a little faster loading- which usually is a good sign that the rest of the program MAY work Razz- However, i just flew a flight a little bit ago and it worked perfectly! and i didn't change anything. and the best part was i actually landed really smoothly and actually on the runway! (this is a big thing for me Very Happy)

Pro Member Trainee
Greg1138 Trainee

CaptDennison wrote:

Believe it or not, one of the things that I did that worked, was to adjust the Frames Per Second.
I had always ran my setting at about 24 FPS--I had read that setting it to Unlimited would speed things up. I tried it-IT WORKS!

I went from solid 24FPS to 50-60+ FPS

Give that a try

Capt. Dennison

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.....but then the best things never do....

Greg - who has his set to 20FPS but is eager to give this a go!!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...