Autopilot failure

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Normally, I fly air routes or VOR to VOR where necesary, so when I flew a fairly long (600NM) direct GPS flight, I wasn't expecting a drift off course of up to 30 degrees after 300 NM. I could switch from HDG to NAV and get back where I belonged, but I would have to compensate by up to 30 degrees to do it.

Any ideas as to the cause?

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

Normally, I fly air routes or VOR to VOR where necesary, so when I flew a fairly long (600NM) direct GPS flight, I wasn't expecting a drift off course of up to 30 degrees after 300 NM. I could switch from HDG to NAV and get back where I belonged, but I would have to compensate by up to 30 degrees to do it.

Any ideas as to the cause?

Gyro drift? Wind? I always let the autopilot computer figure out my GPS flights by leaving it on NAV, then it keeps the little localizer bar on the HSI centered.

Another thing is that the GPS corrects for the curvature of the earth, where-as I think the flight environment in FS9 is flat, so you're trying to follow a curving line in the GPS while the plane is flying across a straight line.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Fascinating. MS created a GPS system that ignored the actual FS environment. But that still doesn't explain why the heading is 30% off when I swithc the HDG fro NAV. I've heard of gyro drift, but 10 degrees per hundred NM?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...