freeze ups with no pitot

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i'm flying along at 8,000 feet in my vans rv7 and suddenly my altimeter and IS go. that isn't good flying at night, but what is worse is that the rv is not equipped with pitot heat. ok lessons learnt.

i was out today again while reviewing some scenery and the same happened as expected in a pitot freeze - but this time i was at 3,000 feet and it's summer here! i descended to no avail.

is this a glitch or can you reeeeally freeze up at 3,000 in summer? any tips on what to do in such situations would also be nice 🙂

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest

Nah it couldnt freeze at 3,000feet, must be a glitch, sure people jump out of planes at 13,000feet, and they dont freeze

As far as I know, the temperature drops one degree for every 200feet climbed, but I'm not possitive on this one

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

I know the carburetter can freeze in the middle of summer at low altitudes which is why you need to blast it with heat every now and again but I think that is due to the way the engine is cooled if I remember correctly from my lessons.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

If you were flying with anything but real world weather, FS chooses temperatures that can be bizarre.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

What exactly does the "pilot heat" switch do Embarassed

I have always seen the switch but never touched it. I'm guessing it is like a fan heater in the cockpit or something...?

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

cheekytrolly wrote:

What exactly does the "pilot heat" switch do Embarassed

I have always seen the switch but never touched it. I'm guessing it is like a fan heater in the cockpit or something...?

sarcasm? if not i shall explain anyway 😛

the pitot tube is on the outside of the aircraft and measure the airspeed and altitude. pitot heat stops ice from forming inside at altitude.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Yup, one of the pre flight checks we do before flying is turning it on and feeling it to make sure it gets warm.
On the tomahawk its a rectangular tube that sticks out the bottom. Im not sure if its the same for other planes but I imagine its similar.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Thank you for explaining- I honestly did not know 🙄

I had always wondered what those tubes sticking outside where- so now I know!

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

and more awaits you cheeky,check your pm's Wink

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...