airports?

Pro Member Trainee
Brian B. (valcan222) Trainee

Hey everyone I was just wondering what are some of the largest airports in the US? and what is the largest airport in the west coast? and the east coast? ect....

thanks
bb

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Please define largest. Do you mean longest runways, most runways, most square miles, busiest?

Pro Member Trainee
Brian B. (valcan222) Trainee

sorry I didnt say in the first place Embarassed Embarassed

I was wondering the airports with the longest runways and the busiests, the reason I ask is because I am going to start my own fleet just for the heck of it and I am going to take a major airport and make it my main hub so I want the airport to be big, larg runways, more than one runway, a good airport for a major hub.

thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

In that case, take a look at KLAX, KSEA and KSFO on the west coast. On the east coast, look at KJFK, KBOS and KATL. In the midwest, look at KORD, KSTL and KDFW.

The busiest airports in the US are Atlanta Hartsfield (KATL), Chicago-O' Hare (KORD), and Los Angeles (KLAX). Atlanta's airport is also the busiest in the world, and all of these have plenty of runways that are very long (most around 12,000 feet).

When it comes to the longest runway, it's Denver International (KDEN), whose newest runway is around 16,000 feet long. Denver's airport is very spread out... in fact it's the largest airport in the USA by land area.

If you want busiest airport by number of international flights, JFK in New York (KJFK) has the most international arrivals and departures in the US.

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Here's some data (worldwide) for 2002. Things probably haven't changed that much.

Busiest Airports (Passenger totals, connecting passengers counted only once):

1) Atlanta, USA (76.9 million)
2) Chicago-O'Hare, USA (66.5 million)
3) London-Heathrow, UK (63.3 million)
4) Tokyo-Haneda, Japan (61.1 million)
5) Los Angeles, USA (56.2 million)
6) Dallas/Fort Worth, USA (52.8 million)
7) Frankfurt, Germany (48.5 million)
😎 Paris-Charles de Gaulle, France (48.3 million)
9) Amsterdam-Schipol, Netherlands (40.7 million)
10) Denver, USA (35.7 million)

Or, you could measure by "movements", that is, takeoffs and landings. This changes the picture since a small RJ flight from (say) Boston to Portland, Maine would count the same as a 777 flight from New York to Tokyo. Looked at this way, all but one of the top 10 are in the USA:

1) Chicago-O'Hare (924,000 movements)
2) Atlanta (890,000)
3) Dallas/Fort Worth (765,000)
4) Los Angeles (645,000)
5) Phoenix (546,000)
6) Paris-Charles de Gaulle, France (510,000)
7) Minneapolis/St Paul (507,000)
😎 Las Vegas (497,000)
9) Denver (494,000)
10) Detroit (491,000)

All figures are from Air Transport World.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...