Mountain Climbing

Pilau Guest

After the army (my serving period begins in November) I'm going to save money for an interstate trip in the US, and I wanted to ask those of us who are US residents whether there are mountains to climb on or should I go to the Himalayas 🙂

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Pilau wrote:

After the army (my serving period begins in November) I'm going to save money for an interstate trip in the US, and I wanted to ask those of us who are US residents whether there are mountains to climb on or should I go to the Himalayas 🙂

It depends what you want to do, and what your level of experience is. Do you want more of a hike, or do you want a hike/climb, or do you want a climb?

SamIntel wrote:

It depends what you want to do, and what your level of experience is. Do you want more of a hike, or do you want a hike/climb, or do you want a climb?

My level of experience is very low, i.e. I have never climbed a mountain before 🙂

But I want a climb, not a hike. A real climb, with everything there is to it.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Then you need to find someone to go with that knows what they are doing, and that has extensive knowledge of the mountain and technical climbing.
Where were you planning on going in the U.S.?

Pilau Guest

Been working on this today, finished now:

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

You really can't just go climb a mountain, alot of them involve a 2 day hike in just to reach the base of the mountain, others you CAN drive up to. Depending on the mountain, some involve crossing glaciers, snow-bridges, climbing cliffs in exposed places. It involves the right equipment and knowledge too.
Look at this site:
http://www.exumguides.com/

Pilau Guest

Thanks a dozen SamIntel!

Pilau Guest

I'm planning on being mainly in the west coast and perhaps east coast too.

Guest Ed Guest

Well, there's always Denali. 😉

Ed

Pilau Guest

Denali, great. Google time!

Guest Ed Guest

It's the tallest mountain in North America, at over 20,000'. It's in Denali National Park in Alaska.

I'm pretty sure it's considered an "advanced" mountain. You might want to work up to that one.

Ed

Pilau Guest

Thanks Wink

It's actually called Mt. McKinley among the mountaineers.
I've seen people climb on it in the movie 'K2'

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Pilau wrote:

Thanks Wink

It is called both, it was named McKinley after the first person that climbed it. Before that, and now too, it is Denali, which means, "The high one." 😉
Let us know when you find what you're climbing, good luck.

Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

Thres Half-Dome in Yosemite

When I get to plan the trip with my friend I'll let you know

Guest Ed Guest

SamIntel wrote:

Pilau wrote:

Thanks Wink

It is called both, it was named McKinley after the first person that climbed it. Before that, and now too, it is Denali, which means, "The high one." 😉
Let us know when you find what you're climbing, good luck.

Sorry, but the mountain traditionally called Denali was renamed Mt. McKinley after William McKinley (who probably never climbed it :wink🙂, the 25th president of these United States, as an election year publicity stunt.

But the official name in the state of Alaska is Denali (or so it is claimed by Wikipedia). And it had that name for a long time before Alaska ever became part of the US and its political nonsense.

Ed

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Hey, thanks, didn't know that first part.
I've always liked the name Denail, sounds better. 😂

Pilau Guest

Yeah, McKinley sounds like some kind of soda.

>Razz

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...