Building a computer

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

Hello,

I am buiding a new computer (first self built!) I have saved up for ages and worked hard to collect all the money together. I have to resist from going out with my friends and spending it.

But anyway, I have created a .txt file which you can access here:

It should work. If not I will try and find another way for you to see it.

Anyway, comments would be nice. I think that the whole computer should be able to support Windows Vista.

By the way, I am getting Windows Media Center OS or Windows XP x64 (I am not sure which!)

One last thing, I am definetley getting Intel, so there is no point in arguing. I have used Intel on all computers I have had.

Thanks

Nick

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Looks like a very powerful setup there - I wish you luck with the build 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Great set-up. 👍
If im allowed to point about something is that you can get(all depends on the bidget of course)a little higher in watts, PS.

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

I bigger power supply won't break the budget. How many watts do you suggest?

Hopefully the building will go well.
I am using this guide
-->>--Link-->>Pc Mech

Hopefully it will get me through the worst. It seems to be a well written and descrpitive guide. If you need a guide on building a computer try this one.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

cheechm wrote:

I bigger power supply won't break the budget. How many watts do you suggest?

Hopefully the building will go well.
I am using this guide
-->>--Link-->>Pc Mech

Hopefully it will get me through the worst. It seems to be a well written and descrpitive guide. If you need a guide on building a computer try this one.

1000 watts would be great.If you have to do it do it right... 😉 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

You forgot the X52 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Graphics Card:
BFG GeForce 7900GTX OC 512MB DDR3 SLI, Dual DVI, HDTV, PCI-E (670MHz Core Clock) (1640MHz Memory Clock) -
£351.32

You do understand that when Vista is released next year, these graphics cards won't be able to run DirectX 10?

So you will have to buy some new ones.

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

On the BFG website BFG Technologies it says, I quote

Built for Microsoft Windows Vista

I will look for 1000 watt PSU. Well I have to go away for five days (well not really have, but I am (I do want to)). Anyway. . . . The .txt document won't be available till I get back.

Have fun during the week!!

Cheech (Nick) 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

On the BFG website BFG Technologies it says, I quote

Built for Microsoft Windows Vista

It might be built for Vista as you quoted but it still doesn't support DirectX 10
and I quote

Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 and lower, OpenGL® 2.0 and lower for Microsoft Windows®

Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 support

As you can clearly see this Vga is built for DirectX9. DirectX10 uses Shader Model 4.0

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

GM is 100% correct (as usual) about the 1000w p/s but don't just buy one, the cheaper no name ones aren't worth buying only the top names will actually give you the true power and self cooling.
The others will say 1000w but deliver less than a 650w of a top brand.

Remember "you get what you pay for".

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Looks pretty good to me, about the only items I might want to change, if you haven't bought the case yet, look for one with a removable/sliding motherboard tray, guarentee you'll never reegret it. Thermaltake do one, but there are others. And the PSU, don't buy cheap for power, a good make with over 500Wts, should be more than ample. I use a couple of Hiper 580 Wts PSUs, brilliant design, plus the fan keeps going very quietly after switching off, stopping the rapid temp rise, which can be the norm on powering off. It stops when the temp is equal to the ambient. Only PSU I know that comes with a Manual, and a Tool Box. (To hold all the connecting wires.)

HTH.

it is me cheechm Guest

would you advise I get a cheap graphics card and then upgrade, or is there one that supports DX10 etc..

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

I've tried to find a graphics card compatible with DX10, without any success. And as DX10 isn't available to my knowledge yet, its a mite annoying.

Can't really advise, down to you as an individual, I'm a bit on the old side, and if I wait, then I might not be around to use the new stuff, so I go for what is the best at this time.

If money is a deciding factor, then providing you have something to get by with now, I would wait, give you a chance to get a bit more cash for what may be more expensive. In a nutshell, if I were younger, I would wait until Vista, DX10, and FSX are freely available, and then decide on my hardware.

HTH

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

KenTel wrote:

I've tried to find a graphics card compatible with DX10, without any success. And as DX10 isn't available to my knowledge yet, its a mite annoying.

Can't really advise, down to you as an individual, I'm a bit on the old side, and if I wait, then I might not be around to use the new stuff, so I go for what is the best at this time.

If money is a deciding factor, then providing you have something to get by with now, I would wait, give you a chance to get a bit more cash for what may be more expensive. In a nutshell, if I were younger, I would wait until Vista, DX10, and FSX are freely available, and then decide on my hardware.

HTH

The DirectX cards should be out by the end of the year, no point putting them out now since Vista isn't ready.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...