When you don't pay attention

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I decided to try hopping from Iceland to Greenland in the AN-148. I knew it would be close, but figured I'd have about a 7% reserve at the end of the trip. I go up to FL320 and relax. I didn't consider I'd have a head wind. As I cross Greenland, I drop a bit lower to get a good look at how bad the default ice in FS is. 🙄

About 100 NM from Thule AB, I check my fuel situation. 😳 😳 😳 This is not good. I do everything I can to save fuel. About 2 NM before the airport, I run out of fuel. Fortunately, I still have enough altitude, so I try to make it, using the flaps only when I'd fall out of the air without them. I got to the runway with about 30 ft. altitude and only 122 KIAS with full flaps. It was a nice landing, except for having to be towed off the runway. Embarassed

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Clap Clap Clap Punk Punk Punk 👍 👍 👍

Its good that you dont meet the ice closer...Since you dont like him i dont know if he would likes you too... 😉

Pro Member First Officer
violentviolet First Officer

ARTISTIC IMPRESSION
U.S.A / GER / FRA / G.B.R / CAN / NOR / URK / SWE / DEN
5.9 / 5.9 / 5.5 / 5.9 / 5.7 / 5.8 / 5.9 / 5.9 / 5.9

TECHNICAL MERIT
U.S.A / GER / FRA / G.B.R / CAN / NOR / UKR / SWE / DEN
6.0 / 6.0 / 5.9 / 6.0 / 6.0 / 5.9 / 5.9 / 6.0 / 6.0

...And CrashGordon takes the gold medal in the "Ground rushing up to greet you" dicipline of the 2006 FS9 championship games,Congratulations.
👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

🙂) ROFL 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain

I could be wrong, but it seems that the last 1% of fuel goes a lot faster than each % before it. 🙄 It is very strange hearing the rumble of your wheels on the runway and nothing else. 😂

Well, at least I did better than the Russian military plane that I caught a glimpse of on the news. It looked like a Tupolev tri-jet that crashed and burned somewhere. From what I heard everyone got out alive. Sorry, I don't have any more details.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

I decided to try hopping from Iceland to Greenland in the AN-148. I knew it would be close, but figured I'd have about a 7% reserve at the end of the trip. I go up to FL320 and relax. I didn't consider I'd have a head wind. As I cross Greenland, I drop a bit lower to get a good look at how bad the default ice in FS is. 🙄

About 100 NM from Thule AB, I check my fuel situation. 😳 😳 😳 This is not good. I do everything I can to save fuel. About 2 NM before the airport, I run out of fuel. Fortunately, I still have enough altitude, so I try to make it, using the flaps only when I'd fall out of the air without them. I got to the runway with about 30 ft. altitude and only 122 KIAS with full flaps. It was a nice landing, except for having to be towed off the runway. Embarassed

Congratulations on a safe (but bumpy) landing Clap

Great piloting!

😉

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

👏 Congradulations on a succesful landing. CrashG 😀
Glad you did't turnup as an oil slick. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Embarassed Actually, it was bad piloting on my part. I didn't keep track of things as I should have. I also stretched things more than any sane person would do in the real world. The fact that I was able to make it to the runway and land, amazed me. I should fire me, but who would fix the web site then? 😂 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Embarassed Actually, it was bad piloting on my part. I didn't keep track of things as I should have. I also stretched things more than any sane person would do in the real world. The fact that I was able to make it to the runway and land, amazed me. I should fire me, but who would fix the web site then? 😂 😂 😂

ROFL

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Great story! I can't believe you made it!

I ran out of gas over Tahiti in a 777, still not exactly sure what happened...I should have easily had enough fuel to reach Sydney...I wasn't even watching, and all of the sudden, she got REAL quiet.

I made it within 1.2 miles of the airport at Tahiti before knocking down some trees and earning my way to the top of the "Hull Loss" list of Boeings...

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

Now I know why you have the handle that you have...LOL Good job but try to plan alittle better the next trip...

Any landing that you make is a landing and not a crash, you sqeaked by on this one for sure...

Group Wave

Pro Member First Officer
earthqu8kes First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

Well, at least I did better than the Russian military plane that I caught a glimpse of on the news. It looked like a Tupolev tri-jet that crashed and burned somewhere. From what I heard everyone got out alive. Sorry, I don't have any more details.

i saw it on CNN. it was carrying a russian diplomat or something. engined failed on takeoff had to abort but overran the runway and burned up. no fatalities. 1 serious from burns...

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Nice story crash- it is flights like this one that make simulating interesting!

Pro Member Chief Captain

If it were real world, I'd be unemployed. 😂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...