constantly changing headings..help?

Pro Member First Officer
earthqu8kes First Officer

im flying at 15,000 feet and ATC tells me to turn to heading 250, then few minutes later heading 295, and back and forth. this has been going on for about 2 hours. is there a way to stop this?!?!?!?!

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Since you fly IFR ,ATC will correct your course since you are close to 4 miles away from your heading.I think that you can change your flight from Flight Planner by hitting Alt/Flights/Flight Planner.Never have check it during a flight though... Dont Know

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

earthqu8kes wrote:

im flying at 15,000 feet and ATC tells me to turn to heading 250, then few minutes later heading 295, and back and forth. this has been going on for about 2 hours. is there a way to stop this?!?!?!?!

My guess is that you are drifting off course and ATC gives you a heading to intercept the desired course. Once you are back on course ATC give you a heading that is lined up with the course. You may need to consider a cross wind that may be blowing you off course and adjust you heading to compensate.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

earthqu8kes wrote:

It sounds like its trying to get you onto a route through the middle of the 2 headings and that your overshooting the route so its asking you to turn back again. Try making the turn as soon as it says and as quickly as possible, on any heading it gives you. If you've done that, then its more than likely a fault in the ATC 😉

Pro Member First Officer

99jolegg wrote:

If you've done that, then its more than likely a fault in the ATC 😉

yes this is excactly whats happening. ATC will give me a new heading after ive crossed over my course line. 😞

Pro Member First Officer

here is what most of my flight looks like so far...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

It looks like there might not be a bug. When you get close to the pink line, and ATC gives you a new heading to turn so you line up with the pink line, but it assumes you'll make a shallow turn. You are turning too fast so never aligning with the pink line, so ATC tells you to turn back to try again, but still, you turn too fast and don't line up. In the real world, this wouldn't happen. Why ATC expects you to make a shallow turn I don't know - hopefully it'll be improved in FSX.

😉

TimH Guest

I might have a solution, I agree with 99joelegg about the problem

Use GPS hold to get automatically held on the course

When your on the course, disable GPS hold and fly it yourself

But the problem here is, ATC will say "your_callsign. turn right heading 278, proceed on course". Just acknowledge them, but dont do what they say, they have their own way of lining you up, once you are lined up they should not complain

Oh and as far as I know, resume own navigation (sometimes said as 'proceed on course') means that after they turn you you can make your own small turns to line up and keep on course

Remember, when you are flying, you dont rely on ATC to tell you what to do, you should know that by yourself, you rely on ATC to make sure you have clearance to do these turns, climbs descents etc

I hope this helps you!!

Pro Member First Officer

im going to make a shallower turn and see what that does.

Pro Member First Officer

i turned to heading 285 instead of 295 and im on course and ATC isnot bugging me. yeah! thanks for all the help. 😀 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...