Off Course...What to Do?

Pro Member Trainee
fupi Trainee

Hi Everyone!

I have been thinking about taking a long flight from Vancouver to Sydney, but I am having a problem. I would like to set it up to fly overnight and then I would come in the morning to land.

My problem is, When I go and set up a route in FS2004, the route is curved. This means that the desired heading during flight would constantly be changing. How do I set it up so that when I'm away from the computer, my flight doesn't drift off course? Any help is Appreciated!

Note: I am using an aircraft without an FMC.

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

there is a switch that say's "NAV/GPS" switch that to GPS. Then once you engage Alt, Airspeed etc on the autopilot hit "NAV". It will then follow the route.

just as an FYI the route appears curved to to the fact that it takes you closer to the pole decreasing distance by the smaller circumferential distance of the northern portion of the planet.

Pro Member First Officer
Pete (pdegraff) First Officer

The flight path appears curved because FS places you on a *great circle* route (Google "great circle") and the map on which you're seeing it is a polyconic projection (you can Google that too).
A great circle route is the shortest distance between two points on the surface of a sphere (the earth).

Respectfully,
Pete

Pro Member First Officer
honuala First Officer

i say set it and forget it......buahhhhahahahahahah Twisted Evil

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...