some payware thoughts

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

first of all i have no problem with groups producing payware - it's perfectly reasonable for the time put in, often. however, i do not understand our hobby's lack of special offers, sales or even depreciation with time - after all a 2yr old product mostly isn't as good as a new one so why the same price? if a computer game is 3months old it goes down to half the price and it confuses me why flight simming misses this despite 'common sense' or practice.

oh well, what are your thoughts? january sales, special deals, BOGOF for limited time only?

i think it is fair to say flight sim has a big enough following (i read somewhere the average an aircraft sells is like 9,000 copies) to include such normal 'gaming deals' without having to worry about people only buying when on offer. people will still splurge on the must have new product won't they?

that's anough thinking for the day...Wink

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I think its mainly because payware addons aspire from Flight Sim enthusiasts, as do their websites which then grow, and so does their following, until there is a huge name brand for payware addons. Along their way, none of them have previously acquired any knowledge of business management, product life cycles or promotional business, so they would remain oblivious to any of the ideas put forward by yourself. All they know, is that they've produced a product which they are selling for a certain price - after that they don't really care.

😉

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

I think your answer lies in the small size of the companies producing payware and the small number of sales they can expect for any given product. You mention a figure of 9,000 copies as an average for an add-on aircraft. When you consider something like the Doom franchise which has sold tens of millions of copies that 9,000 seems pretty paltry. Also I think you are wrong about a 2 year old product not being as good as a new one. If these were stand alone products I might agree with you, but they're not. They all have to integrate seamlessly with a product that is now almost 4 years old. There is also probably some truth to the conclusion that FS2004 software developers are not the best businessmen.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...