Driver unloading

GoneGolfing Guest

Hi guys, for the last 2 days i been suffering from the case of the unloading driver when i start up FS2004. I know its almost about time i upgrade this card maybe sometime next month i will but for now im running a GeForce4 MX 440 graphics adapter, its been very good to me when i run FS2004, but for the last 2 days now everytime i run FS2004 ill get through the splash screen and when presented to the main screen the graphics driver will unload and reset to 256 colors and im left with a rather nasty screen until i reboot. Also the the adapter drivers are the most current and i havent reinstalled them for sometime, what i did so far was i unistalled the drivers from the control panel add/remove and removed the drivers and deleted any residual file rebooted then reinstalled the drivers agian, still no success. When i run dxdiag and run the Directdraw and Direct3D test the driver will do the same unload and reset back to 256 colors and the test will error out. Almost like the hardware excelleration is gone or the card maybe damaged i dont know, has anyone ever suffered from these syptoms before? And how did you fix it? Anyhow i see in the near future i will be retiring this card. Also note im running a 350 PS more than enough to handle a Geforce4 MX 440. Thanks

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's possible that the card is dying. Mine just kept throwing artifacts and I had to pull it and put my old card back it for now.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

GoneGolfing wrote:

Hi guys, for the last 2 days i been suffering from the case of the unloading driver when i start up FS2004.

Radarman has a point about the card dying. Did you download any Windows updates or load new drivers for something else? If you can't think of any changes to the operating system or new software you loaded I would suspect the card as it's fairly old.

GoneGolfing2 Guest

Hi ya RM, Multiplayer works awsome now that i got that all figured out as for the Vid card looks like it will be heading to the nursing home have you or anyone here heard about this card is it any good for FS2004

GoneGolfing Guest

Hi wscott52, Actually the vid card has the latest updates from nvidia and microsoft. 2 days ago when i fired up FS it started doing it, prior to that i made no driver or hardware changes. I guess the card had its days, although a few months ago i had tweaked the card a bit and have 2 cooling fans on it free and clear of dirt buildup but never presented any problems, oh well i guess ole betsy finally wants to rest.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

GoneGolfing wrote:

Hi ya RM, Multiplayer works awsome now that i got that all figured out as for the Vid card looks like it will be heading to the nursing home have you or anyone here heard about this card is it any good for FS2004

GG,
It's a good card but don't forget, it won't support DirectX 10 when Vista and FSX come out.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer

RD, well i havent given up on this card yet i like the challenge just for the heck of it i jiggled the card in the slot and booted back up. i ran the dxdiag tests agian and came up error free.

DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful.
Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful.
Direct3D 8 test results: All tests were successful.
Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.

The thing that bothers me now is i can play the game in windowed mode only, when i goto full screen the game will shut out in under a minute. Im still going to get another card sometime in the next couple of weeks but for now i have no card to fall back on if this one craps out. So i guess ill baby this one till i get another one, anyhow what card would you recommend in the 128 to 256 area?

Before Jiggle Full Screen

After Jiggle No Full Screen Available

Last edited by Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) on Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I see that you joined, welcome!

For an inexpensive card while your waiting for the DirectX cards to come out The one I "had" is good, especially now for the $.
Mine just crapped out after 2½ years (unusual) but I'd still get one,
The ATi Radeon 9800 128mb DDR AGP.
If you go to the ATi site they have it for $59, I don't know if that can be beaten anywhere on the net but you should try.
I believe the nVIDIA equivalent is the 5200 or the 5500, don't know too much about them.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks Radarman good to be here, wow 59 bux for an 128 ATI nice i goto check that out. I think im going to give up on NVidia i had nothing but problems with there product, NVidia put one out at bestbuy for 39 bux but i dont dare try it but i will be looking into that ati card today thanks for the info.

Pro Member First Officer

TY sir ill check that out now.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Welcome to Fly Away GoneGolfing 👍 😀

Pro Member First Officer

Thank You, Greekman72 lots of helpful folks here. 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...