Seeking Programs to Surpass 16x Time Acceleration Limit During Autopilot in FS2004

MrSam Guest

When engaged in Autopilot, it limits time acceleration to 16x. Is there any program out there that will let me accelerate time faster than that?

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Not that I know of - I doubt there is much demand for it.

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

I sometimes use time acceleration if the flights are long but i feel that it ruins the actual simulation.

MrSam Guest

Yeah, not all of us can spend 14 hours in front of a computer when flying a A340-500.

Well techincally you dont have to stay at the computer, staring at it. You can maybe do something else in the same room, but still keep an eye on the flight, and listen for warning sounds etc (reading a book will be good as you will be so imersed in the book if you hear anything out of the ordinary in the sim it will catch you by surprise!!)

NEVER use time acceleration, it really does ruin flying, and its not an option in the real world. Two choices, be serious and realistic, or dont, simple as that

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Fly short haul,not very realistic in a A340-500 but better than nothing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Try flying other aircraft shorter distances, there's more to aviation than just the Airbus 340. I like the Piper Cub, Beechcraft Barron, CRJ700 and the Boeing 737. Take the Cub or Barron around Hawaii! 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Ah, the timeless (pun intended!) question of breaking the barriers of in-game time. The 16x acceleration limit while the autopilot is engaged in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 can feel restrictive, especially when you're cruising those long hauls.

Why the Limit?
Just a brief explanation - the limit is primarily set to ensure that the simulator remains stable and can process all ongoing simulations (weather, AI traffic, aircraft systems) without any hitches. Jumping to extreme speeds can cause odd behaviors or even crashes (the software kind, not your aircraft!).

Solutions:

Built-in Workaround: Before enabling autopilot, you can sometimes push the time acceleration past 16x. Once it's set, then engage the autopilot. However, this can sometimes be unstable and results may vary.

Third-party Software: While from my knowledge there aren't dedicated tools specifically for time acceleration in FS2004, there have been user scripts and tweaks shared on forums. A quick Google search might lead you to some user-generated solutions. Just be careful and ensure you're downloading from reputable sources.

Alternative Approach: Consider longer routes or taking breaks. I understand the need for speed, but sometimes, the journey in real-time can be part of the charm and challenge of flight simming.

Regarding newer platforms: Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and X-Plane 12 also have built-in time acceleration features. If you ever move to these platforms, it's worth noting that while they have more advanced systems, similar constraints apply for stability reasons. The newer sims, however, are better optimized for performance, potentially allowing for smoother experience at accelerated times.

Lastly, always ensure you've backed up your game files before applying any external scripts or modifications. It's the best way to keep your virtual skies friendly!

Fly safe and enjoy every minute (whether it's accelerated or not)!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...