Collision Course

Jamie4590 Guest

Is there an instrument like a ground proximity warning system that alerts the pilot if they are flying a collision course towards a mountain or other obstruction? I've just discoverd the beautiful landscape around the Misoulla airport but have no charts to determine the height of the surrounding mountains.

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
mcmxl Trainee

None that I know of. Doppler radar might, but most planes aren't equiped with it. Atleast not to be used in that way.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

There isn't anything that says if you are flying on a collision course, but the GPWS will kick in when you are flying 200-300ft in the vicinity of the ground without proper landing configuration. The safest thing to do is find out the MSA of the area you are flying in, so you are guaranteed to avoid all mountains and terrain.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

Is there an instrument like a ground proximity warning system that alerts the pilot if they are flying a collision course towards a mountain or other obstruction? I've just discoverd the beautiful landscape around the Misoulla airport but have no charts to determine the height of the surrounding mountains.

Yes, it's called enhanced GPWS or EGPWS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGPWS
🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

Jamie4590 wrote:

Yes, it's called enhanced GPWS or EGPWS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGPWS
🙂

I didn't know about that - thanks, an interesting read 👍

Jamie4590 Guest

Yes very interesting, Thanks!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...