Engine anti-ice...

Pro Member First Officer
Bartholomew First Officer

So my 727 manual tells me the engine anti-ice must be on when icing conditions are anticipated or at any time the OAT is below 8C (46F), and either moisture is visible or the OAT and dewpoint are within 3C (5F) of each other.

It also says the minimum N1 setting for penetrating icing conditions is 55%, and heavy icing 70%.

So considering that (and the bold bit), are you supposed to have the engine anti-ice on when the OAT is way below zero but you're cruising at 85% or more of N1??? 😳

Please help.

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

The minimum N1 setting is 55% / 70% so anything above that will mean that ice has the potential to be present, but won't be unless the weather conditions are sufficient. Basically engine anti-ice will be used when the OAT is below 8C (46F), and either moisture is visible or the OAT and dewpoint are within 3C (5F) of each other. with N1 above 55%, so in essense, it is just the weather conditions that determine whether you use engine anti-ice in flight because N1 is always likely to be more than 55% in flight.

I think the minima of 55 / 70% are there to show that engine anti-ice isn't needed on the ground.

Thats my understanding of it anyway 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Is there any ice in Flight simulator anyways, I never encountered any. 😕

Pro Member First Officer
violentviolet First Officer

mypilot wrote:

Is there any ice in Flight simulator anyways, I never encountered any. 😕

Download the Tupolev TU 114 from AVSIM, fly it , and watch the icing take effect. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Bartholomew First Officer

I think the minima of 55 / 70% are there to show that engine anti-ice isn't needed on the ground.

Yes, that’s the bit I didn’t mention. It says to increase power on each engine to 50%N1 minimum , every five minutes, to prevent surging during prolonged periods of ground operation.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...