Calculating temperature

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Hello folks! Here I am again. This time I want to know how to calculate the outside air temperature (OAT). I got a chart from British Airways VA (http://www.bavirtual.co.uk/about/ and I know how to calculate the SAT and TAT. So I don't have to worry about that.
I just want to know how to calculate the OAT. And when do I need to press the Wing Anti-ice and engine Anti-ice?

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

I am not sure I understand the question, you say you understand these these things but you want to know what they mean.
I use anti ice when my trim wont work.
Are you trying to figure out C verses F?
that's F=C*9/5+32 or the other way C=F*5/9-32
Again, I am not sure what you are asking

Pro Member Chief Captain

I just want to know how to calculate the OAT since I don't have any readout or gauge that tells me that.
And also I want to know when should I engage wing anti-ice and engine anti-ice.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

What's the TAT mean? True Air Temperature? I've never actually looked for the definitions

Pro Member Chief Captain

TAT= Total Air Temperature
SAT= Static Air Temperature

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

What do those mean. "Total air Tempature and Static air empature"? 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain

The Static Air Temperature (SAT) is the physical temperature of the air which the aircraft is flying through. It is also know as the outside air temperature (OAT); it is the temperature that I need to determine.

Total Air Temperature (TAT) is the temperature that would be measured by a probe if all of the kinetic energy of the air resulting from the aircraft's motion was absorbed.

I just want to know how to calculate the Outside Air Temperature (OAT) and when do I select wing and engine anti-ice.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

That was helpful. 🙂 Thanks!

Pro Member Chief Captain

You are welcome, mypilot!

Well, I guess I will keep trying to find some information on internet.
Maybe PH or leadfoot know this....

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

In order to calculate OAT or give yourself a good estimate for what it should be in ISA conditions temp decreases at a rate of 1.98*C/1000ft so if surface temp is 15*C then at 2000ft it should decrease by 2x1.98 making it about 11 degrees. Met charts also give you very accurate high and low level temps, for commercial pilots it is usually on the FP. Use anti ice when going through cloud so this will generally be used in the climb or descent. Do remember the engine creates less thrust (jet) when using anti ice or packs so these are normally selected off for TO when high power settings are used.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thank you PH! I knew that you knew this 😉
Just a little question: Is surface temperature the same as SAT?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...