Slaving AP to GPS - IS IT FOR REAL ??

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Hi all,

I have a question that I hoped someone could answer (either a real world pilot or someone clued up on real planes) :-

- As we know, on FS9 it is possible to SLAVE the AutoPilot to the GPS.

- Is this possible in the real world ??? In other words, do real planes (or at least some) have that NAV / GPS toggle switch ???

Thanks in advance,

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Yes, there is a switch on the panel that says "nav" on one side and "GPS" on the other side. Flip the switch to GPS, then engage the AP. Set your GPS destination, then click the NAV button on the AP and your set. PS. it is best to get on course manually before you engage the AP, lest the AP will put you in a STEEP turn to intercept the desired course.

Pro Member Captain

I just discovered how good the GPS system in FS9 is, last night.....

I used the PROC page to load (and later activate) ILS settings - it's great because the ILS settings are automatically there and available for whatever Airport you have as your destination in the Flight Planner.

You can then Activate this when you're close to the Approach at the Airport. It even allows A/P to be used for this ILS approach - I knew this was possible using VOR and the Localizer but didn't realise all this capability was also sitting in the GPS...

Purists will always want to use ILS (with or without A/P) through use of the Localizer but for someone getting to grips with landings, Nav settings etc, the GPS ILS option is really straightforward - I used the AutoPilot, slaved to the GPS ILS setting to keep me straight with the runway, which meant that I could practice my accuracy on the Glidescope, by adjusting just throttle and pitch (don't have to worry about Ailerons).

ALL GOOD!

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

As you progress, one feature of the GPS vis-a-vis the ILS that you may find useful is the missed approach pattern. If you've activated the ILS approach in the GPS, then as you execute the missed approach, the GPS has the pattern right there for you. You can even let the AP fly it for you if you want. 😎

Pro Member Captain

That sounds great - can you just tell me a little about when this would be used?

Would this be if you were on the Approach but then ATC advised you weren't cleared for landing ? And does the Missed Approach vector send you round the Airport so that you can have another stab at landing ??

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

In the sim, it usually comes about when there is traffic landing ahead of you and they do their usual trick of stopping on the runway, then taxiing at 5 knots. ATC will then tell you to "go around". On an instrument approach, this means you execute the prescribed missed approach procedure. In most (if not all) cases it takes you to a holding pattern somewhere, but ATC will start giving you vectors for another approach before you get to the holding point.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Generally a go around is in order when you declare a missed approach. Usually a missed approach occurs when you reach the min allowable altitude on the app chart but still cannot see the rnwy. that requires a declared missed app. and a go around. usually after 2 or 3 missed app you go to another arpt with better weather, or one with an ILS.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

P.S. I still like fly the approach by hand. It is a good way to hone your piloting skills.

Pro Member Captain

Thanks for the relies folks - I've been off ill for a week (so plenty of FS practice!), and Missed Approaches and me are like brothers now !

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

Glad you're back. Hope you're felling better. Ill

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Arkydave wrote:

As you progress, one feature of the GPS vis-a-vis the ILS that you may find useful is the missed approach pattern. If you've activated the ILS approach in the GPS, then as you execute the missed approach, the GPS has the pattern right there for you. You can even let the AP fly it for you if you want. 😎

What's the sequence of buttons for that please?

Pro Member Captain

You'll need to have pressed 'PROC" and the GPS and have selected your ILS Runway, and have activated it... (Cursor down & select 'Activate')...

Then, when you call a "Missed Approach" and you go-around, check the GPS and you'll notice the pink (active) route now shows the Missed Approach pattern for yuo to follow.

I rarely use the GPS these days as I'm obsessed with flying the 737NG and PSS A340, which both have FMC (Flight Management Computers) with various advanced forms of Nav Aids - however, it must be said that the default GPS system in FS2004 is great, and the ability to visually see your proximity to Runways and Approach Patterns is it's best feature.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...