Yes, another person with sound problems...

Steeev Guest

Hi there.
I got FS2004 recently, and spent a lot of the first few hours pootling around in my Cessna, blissfully unaware of the sound problems I would encounter.
It was only when I flew the Learjet, with no sounds I realised something was wrong.
I get the sound of the plane running down the runway, and also the sound of the plane landing at Cote D'Azur airport without landing gear. (Not a pleasant sound, but I didn't hear the warning. Still managed to land, a couple of tins of emulsion and she'll be good as new 😀 )
I came on the forums looking for answers to find that also I have no jets sounds at all, no ATC chatter, and can't hear the pilot talking to me either!
My system is:
Athlon 2800+
512Mb RAM
Radeon 9600Pro 256
Sb Live 5.1
I think the Live card is to blame for this - I've run DXDiag, updated drivers etc. Can anyone suggest a fix that doesn't involve splashing out too much cash? i.e. A new Sound Card that works, but doesn't cost the Earth?
Thanks!

Answers 23 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
paflightsimpilot Trainee

Hi Steeev
my first question would be to ask, do all your other sounds work, or is the Learjet the only one without sounds? SB5.1 could be the problem, however try using other jet sound files within the Learjet to determine for sure... besides it cheaper 🙂 The jet sounds in 2004 I think are pretty much sound the same or see if you can reload the learjet files itself from the CD. If you get a new sound card, there are several out there that wont cost alot!

Steeev Guest

Nope. I started FS2004 in the Cessna.
Turns out, the Cessna engine, along with runway sounds and flap sounds are the only ones I get... Not even any other prop engines. Plus a few odd wind effects.
I haven't downloaded any planes, which I've read can cause issues.
I get the feeling the Live card's gonna buy the farm!
Crying or Very sad

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

Have you tried reinstalling FS2004? Also download and install Windows Media Player 9.

What is your operating system?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Sorry, I can't tell which problem you have from your description. Look these over and decide. It should help.
Good luck and let us know how you do.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177252

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812394

Radar

Steeev Guest

Thanks for the help guys.
Probably the only thing I haven't done is reinstall FS2004.
I'm running Windows XP, and have noticed crackles in other games with the L!ve card.
As for new drivers... I have the latest, but they're not exactly hot off the press. Good old Creative eh? 😕
Ahem... Maybe I'm using this as an excuse to upgrade my sound card.. I'll let you know how I get on with the reinstall anyway.

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

Ok fella - good luck! 🤔 I haven't much knowledge on XP i'm afraid but I should do by next month. Hack

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

Ah well, a reinstall didn't help!
There are definitely conflict issues. Runway sounds are crackly and jet noises and larger plane sounds nowhere to be heard.
Looks like my Soundblaster L!ve is soon to be a Soundblaster De@d.
Trying to complete the flying lessons without the instructor's voice is not so easy... Especially with my lack of ESP.

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

Hello again Steve,

Does this sound problem appear in all Windows applications (other games, Windows sound effects)? If not then click Start, Run and type dxdiag, make sure that the version of Directx is 9.0b. If it isn't you can download 9.0b from www.microsoft.com

Also have you tried reinstalling your sound card drivers? Remember to uninstall them first from the Add/Remove list in the Control Panel.

Let me know how goes and i'll speak to later. 😉

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

Yep, tried all of that.
I haven't really had any problems in many other games, except the crackling. I think this is a fairly well documented problem with XP/L!ve setups.
Seems odd that I appear to be the only one with this specific problem though, especially as my PC isn't the worst machine in the world.
I've ordered a new Soundcard now anyway. Flying deaf isn't as exciting as flying blind!

Sorry that we couldn't help you Steve. 😞 I hope you new sound card will work ok. 👍

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

That's me above, forgot to sign in. Embarassed 😂

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

Tut tut!
Never make it to Chief at that rate! 😉
Thanks for the feedback anyway.
It's nice to be part of a group who continue to discuss a game for more than a couple of months after it's release.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Actually the latest DirectX is now available for download.
Up to now it's only been a beta.
You can find DirectX 9.0c at:

P.S. I don't think that it'll help your sound problem but it may help our graphics.

Radar

Thanks for that Radarbloke, i'll wait till I have XP installed before I touch that. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Umm... Ok so your live card is no good,if you have on board sound chip (most, if not all have) try setting your pc to use that,via the bios

I know that generally onboard sounds are not very good,but give it a try

Let use know

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

Yeah, I used to use the onboard sound, but in my infinite wisdom decided a dedicated soundcard would take less resources from the system.
Unfortunately, my purchase of a cheapo card was a complete waste of time.
The onboard sound is also very crappy. But noted.. Crap sound is better than silence.

Jimmy B Guest

😞 I am having the same problem with my sound on flight simulator. It is only flight simulator - everything else works fine... Also have tried everything from dxdiag, replace sound card, reinstall fs2004, update dx, on and on to no resolution. If anyone has any ideas please HELP!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Jimmy B wrote:

😞 I am having the same problem with my sound on flight simulator. It is only flight simulator - everything else works fine... Also have tried everything from dxdiag, replace sound card, reinstall fs2004, update dx, on and on to no resolution. If anyone has any ideas please HELP!!!

Did you check out the 3 MS fixes I listed earlier in this thread.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
patw First Officer

Steeev !

I had the same problem with the same card, I resolved it by installing the original CD that came with the card.

select custom install and install drivers only. restart computer and it should be ok.

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

Thanks patw
The problem with that is that then Prince Of Persia doesn't run with all sounds!
The joys of PC.
Playstations are much easier to figure out.
It's OK. I've acquired a new card, that should solve everything. Hopefully.

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

An update, for what it's worth.
I tried the original driver disc. No good.
I tried a new soundcard - Audigy LS. No good.
I tried onboard sound - AC97. No good.
Same problem all the way down.
Tried clean boot procedure. Run DXDiag. Etc. etc.
I could've flown a Cessna from here to Auckland in realtime (obviously stopping to refuel) in the amount of time I've been messing with this.
I give up!
Crying or Very sad

cheekytrolly Guest

arh! im haveing the same proplem- crakley sound with the ATC voices and flaps etc!

SOME ONE HELP ME PLZZZZZZZZZ Surprised

thanks-
andy cheekytrolly@hotmail.com

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Sorry, I can't tell which problem you have from your description. Look these over and decide. It should help.
Good luck and let us know how you do.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177252

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812394

Radar

Did you check these out?

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...