Help me take off!!

M15 Guest

Hey all,

I bought myself the CH Products Pro Pedals and CH Flight Sim Yoke to replace my € 15,- joystick.

Of course I had to get used to flying with the pedals, but whenever autorudder is turned off, the moment I take off the plane starts making a turn to the left.

I know I have to push the right pedal a little on the runway, but when do I let go of this? And why does my plane turn to the left whenever I lift off?

I'm flying a Cessna 172 in FS2004.
Any help greatly appreciated!!

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

Gyro drift it when your engine is spinning it kinda acts like a gyro which turnes the plane slightly

Hope that help 😎

Pro Member First Officer
Alec Stelloh (Thunderbirdman2) First Officer

You can turn it off in realism

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Left turning tendency is normal. You apply rudder as necessary(and for as long) to keep the ball in the inclinometer (Part of the Turn coordinator) centered, normally this will be during climbs. Remember: Step on the ball If the ball is not centered, apply pressure on the pedal that is on the same side as the balls displacement.

Causes:
1. Torque of the engine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque
2. P-Factor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-factor
3. Spiraling slipstream- The prop wash hitting the vert. stab unevenly.
4.Gyroscopic precession http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscopic_precession

🙂

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Just to add to CRJCapt's great explaination.

As you apply more RPM's you will need to add more rudder to keep the plane balanced and are you decrease the RPM's you will need to decrease the amount of rudder.

It isnt always left yaw that is caused, sometimes it is right but is is mainly left. There are not many planes that yaw to the right.

As CRJcapt says, always look at the ball in the turn co-ordinator.

Good luck !!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Does the same thing happen in real aircrafts, I mean do they have to keep the rudder pushed the whole time while flying or the aircraft balances itself when it gets to certain altitude???? 🤔

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

VegasFlyer wrote:

Does the same thing happen in real aircrafts, I mean do they have to keep the rudder pushed the whole time while flying or the aircraft balances itself when it gets to certain altitude???? 🤔

Yes, it does but in a Cessna 172, it's not for long. As I said, it's mostly in climbs at high power settings. In high performance aircraft such as the Mooney Bravo, you would use rudder trim because of the extended climbs to high altitude. It's becomes natural, anytime you climb or turn a propeller aircraft, you use the rudder. Once you level at your cruise altitude, rudder pressure is not required.🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Thanks CRJ 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

I found out that simply throttling up less violently worked for me.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

👍

M15 Guest

Wow...Thanks for all those great answers!!

So to summarize it all: It is normal for a plane to yaw to the left, especially when using high power settings. It is called gyro drift and to compensate for it, use the right rudder pedal.

Some planes have a special trim for it so you don't have to push the right rudder all the time during a climb, but the Cessna 172 does not have a trim for it.

Did I understand this all correctly? 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Yes, propeller aircraft. 🙂

F-5E Tiger II Guest

Excellent explanation, Sir. Bow Down 👍

And may I also add something... While external physical forces like the P-Factor, Spiralling Slipstream, Torque, Gyro Rotation etc. are ever present, thus the plane's tendency to yaw/turn to the left, when you're flying twin engine (or multi-engine) propeller-driven airplanes, these things are barely noticeable because the propellers on the port and starboard engines rotate in the opposite direction (CCW on the left / CW on the right), thereby cancelling out the external physical forces generated, which affects the way the plane flies during takeoffs and in certain flight conditions. Of course, you still have to apply slight rudder inputs when taking-off with a crosswind present. Just like what they all say... Step On The Ball.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...