help with ILS landing

Pro Member Trainee
Dorianee Trainee

i need help with ils landing, when i fly and ifr flight plan the atc asks me if i want to do " ILS runway 28 left" and when i am on final i dont see anything in the panels...........i have also used the gps to get the ILS for me, the direciton of the runway works fine but the glide slope does not come in, so im am always left guessing at where to put the plane on the runway, and this is really difficult especially in bad weather, i do this is VFR AND IFR, and i am a 737 pilot, sometimes 777

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
Dorianee Trainee

this is a very useful page, but could you personally explain it to me in simple terms....lol...its 11 at nite over here and my mind is kinda "shut down" and i still wanna figure this out before i go to sleep

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Sure, I will try and put it in simple terms for you, however I highly suggest you refer to RM's link...

To start off, once ATC starts to vector you during the approach, switch the Nav/GPS switch to "Nav"

Now, wait till ATC tells you, "(flight number), expect vectors ILS r/w 28R"...At this point, what you do is pause the sim, then go to the Map -- When your at the map, double click on the arrival airport, and then pull up the ILS frequency for 28R...

Now, go the radio panel, and tune that frequency into NAV1, then don't do anything more.

When your within range (about 10-15 miles), the localizer should come alive, followed by the glideslope...Just follow it down towards the r/w...Sorry if I missed anything, but I'm very sleepy right now, and cannot focus to save my life!..>Good luck 😉

Pro Member Trainee
Dorianee Trainee

can the auto pilot fly the actual ils for me?...i notice that i can do that when i try the ils using the gps, its just the glide slope doesn ot come in. but can i use auto pilot?

Pro Member Captain

Yes -- But only to a certain altitude, which I believe would be the "minimum" altitude. To do this, you must first input the ILS frequency in both the Nav1 and Nav2 slots in the radio panel...Then, when your on finals, below 3000ft and below 180kts, engage APP with autopilot on..This should take you all the way down to minimum altitude, which differs depending on the weather conditions. Of course you must control the speed, flaps, and gear, however it should do most of the dirty work..Again, sorry if I missed anything, but its a little late, and I'm a little drowzy...GOod luck 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

All good advice.

crosscheck9 wrote:

Now, go the radio panel, and tune that frequency into NAV1, then don't do anything more.

...and make sure that the NAV1 radio is activated by clicking its button on the radio stack - a few aircraft start as default with the radios disengaged.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

👏 👍

Pro Member Captain

99jolegg wrote:

All good advice.

crosscheck9 wrote:

...and make sure that the NAV1 radio is activated by clicking its button on the radio stack - a few aircraft start as default with the radios disengaged.

😉

Thanks for fixing that for me Jon 😉

Pro Member Trainee
Dorianee Trainee

hey thanks again for the help....i found out another little lading trick when you showed me how to use the ils. firt you go to your gps and go to select approach for your airport. then you select the runway you want for ils the you activate it.........then you go and tune your radios for the ils runway you are landing on..........you swich nav/gps to nav and turn the auto pilot on and select nav.......the auto pilot will line the airplane up with the runway and keep it that way so all you have to focus on is the flaps speed and pitch atitude!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Dorianee wrote:

hey thanks again for the help....i found out another little lading trick when you showed me how to use the ils. firt you go to your gps and go to select approach for your airport. then you select the runway you want for ils the you activate it.........then you go and tune your radios for the ils runway you are landing on..........you swich nav/gps to nav and turn the auto pilot on and select nav.......the auto pilot will line the airplane up with the runway and keep it that way so all you have to focus on is the flaps speed and pitch atitude!!

👍

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...