fs9.cfg tweak please

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

anyone know some changes I can make to my cfg to make the graphics better in any way?
cheers 😉

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

An extremely informative guide about how to increase performance in many areas:

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=197&topic_id=25&mode=full

Heres the FS9 cfg. file tweak section from the above post:

Avsim Member (OneTinSoldier) wrote:

- FS9.cfg file -

Your FS9.cfg file is located in the following place in WinXP...

C:\Documents and Settings\Your_Username\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9

There are quite a lot of tweaks for it. I am only going to show you the relevant portion of my file so you can see how I have mine set. You may very well need to play with some of the settings compared to how I have mine to get the best performance on your system. These FS9.cfg file settings (and more), and explanations of them can be found in the following forum thread...

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=177&topic_id=230

Further below is a portion of my FS9.cfg file. Feel free to use the settings to the parameters contained in it that I do. One notable setting that you may need to play with to find what suits your system best is the following parameter(use CTRL+F in notepad to search for MULT when you have the file open)...

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=XXX

There are some severe/abrupt changes in Winds Aloft in FS2004 when using Real World weather. I believe this problem occurs whether you are using the built-in FS2004 real world weather or an addon program. But I could be mistaken, I only use an addon program. The best tip I have come across to help alleviate this problem is the following tip posted by Brent(username: dogknot)...

-----------------------------------------
Reduce your fluctuations by setting the TurbulenceScale value in FS9.CFG to a lower value (0.2 is suggested by several users). Sure helped tame the buffeting from upper winds in FS2002 and has worked so far for me in FS9.

Look under the section in the FS9.cfg file.

TurbulenceScale=0.200000

Brent aka "dogknot"
-----------------------------------------

Note - The original setting is TurbulenceScale=1.000000 and personally I decided to leave mine up just a bit higher than what was recommended in his post. I set mine to 0.400000 and it seems to have worked out well for me so far. But it is only recently that I have implemented this tweak.

If you have 512 MB’s of RAM then you may want to try adding the following parameter and it should go under the section in your FS9.cfg file.

PanelAsTexture=0

The value of 0 is used in my RenderToTexture= parameter below because I use an add-on called WeatherCenter 2.3.1 which calls for me to uncheck the 'Render To Texture' checkbox. Your value will be set to 1 if you check the ‘Render to Texture’ checkbox in the Hardware Tab of the Display settings in FS2004.

The section is courtesy of FFX/SGA other than I figured out to use a 4 for my 5.1 speaker setup.

SOUND=1
SOUND_FADER1=0.500000
SOUND_FADER2=0.460000
SOUND_FADER3=0.620000
SOUND_FADER4=0.800000
SOUND_FADER5=0.810000
SOUND_FADER6=1.000000
SOUND_QUALITY=2
Channels=4 --> use a 2 here if you only have 2 speakers, I have a 5.1 speaker setup.
SamplesPerSec=44100
BitsPerSample=16

Mode=1600x1200x32
TriLinear=1
RenderToTexture=0

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=24
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120

TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=85.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=200.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.900000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=8.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

Again, to see many more possible and FS9.cfg tweaks and explanations of them and the settings I am using in mine visit the link I gave to the forum above earlier, which once again is...

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=177&topic_id=230

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...