NAV1 / ILS Beep ....!

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Any way of turning off the constant Morse Beeping you get from the NAV Radio when it's tuned into an ILS approach ?

Reassuring to hear the Morse Code is correct with the Morse ID of the ILS but after hearing it loop 55 times it get's tiring !

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

On your radio stack, either at the top or the bottom, depending on the aircraft, there is a row of buttons or toggles labeled COM1, COM2, NAV1, etc. Turn off the one for NAV1 and no more Mr. morse. 👏

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Of course you know that the morse code beeps is what you use to identify the nav beacon you are using. It is there to help you make sure you are using the right one, lest you get lost or worse.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

You are also aware that by doing that you are also turning off that radio set, and therefore, destroying your approach? right?

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

You are also aware that by doing that you are also turning off that radio set, and therefore, destroying your approach? right?

Wrong. You're only turning off the audio feed from that receiver, not the radio. It still functions properly.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Arkeydave is correct. I fly for real as well as on the sim and often times after I tune in a VOR on the nav stack I will pull the ident switch to make sure I have the right VOR then push it back in, but I can still navigate with that VOR. You can also get sigmets and other serious weather warnings off the VOR frequencies. If you are having trouble with your radio stack, you can also communicate with ATC through the VOR's

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Oh, thank gosh for that! Now i can get rind of the sound!

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Great result all round - Actually I'm getting used to the BEEP now - it helps to learn Morse Code and recognise the VOR IDs !!

I noticed that the VOR is still active with the NAV1 switch at OFF, and thought this was unrealistic - so it's interesting to see LeadFoots comment that this is the case in the real flying world - the VOR can still be used with the NAV1 selected at OFF (without the beep).

Thanks y'all

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

Yeah, if you look closely at the radio panel, you should see that each of the radio panels has an on/off switch (on the panel where you set the frequency). In the sim I think they are all inoperative, but this is where you would completely disable the radio. The toggles we've been talking about are just for supplying audio to your headset (speakers).

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...