Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Steep Banking

Jamie4590 Guest

Regardless of my altitude or speed I always bank at a 25 degree angle when in autopilot mode and I'm sure that would be scary for passengers at FL500. Could I be missing a dial or switch that can alter AP bank angles?

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Actually a standard turn rate is 30 degrees unless I am mistaken. Passenger liners do 25 degrees for more comfort, but you can hardly notice Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

(Jets) Autopilots are set for a standard 25 degrees bank. 30 degrees is the standard bank when the aircraft is flown manually. Some aircraft use a 1/2 bank mode at high altitude to avoid the smaller stall margins caused by load factor at high altitude. Smile

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

Regardless of my altitude or speed I always bank at a 25 degree angle when in autopilot mode and I'm sure that would be scary for passengers at FL500. Could I be missing a dial or switch that can alter AP bank angles?

Which aircraft are you flying at FL500?

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Standard rate 1 turn is dependent on speed. Approximate it by knocking the "0" off the speed and add 7. ie 120kts 12+7=19 degrees.
To answer your question many airliners have a selector under the heading button on the glareshield (ACP) which can be selected to max bank angle......fly the bus and it will make up it's own mind!