What is the best way?

D190 Guest

whats the best way of paying for your training? You know should i pay for 2 to 3 hrs training a week which would mean saving money or should i pay 1 hr a week straite from my wages?

You see i know where to train and the cost of it. The cost is £99 an hr.
Now if i pay 3 hrs a week that would mean for me to have saved at lest £3200. If i pay one hr a week i would be able to pay striat from my income. I just wondered would it be better to save for my training or pay there and then by doing one hr a week.

If i do 3 hrs a week it would take lesser time for my licence but does that make it better?

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

It depends on how you'd like to do it. Personally, I'd save up as much as possible (around £5000) over how ever long and then start my license. You can then have as many lessons as you like in a shorter time span so you get more continuity and are less likely to forget something. If you are going to do it that way, then you should be done with the practical lessons in about 4 months - so you should start learning for the 7 exams soon.

D190 Guest

intresting! Ok. ill save money and at the same time i can buy flight training d.v.ds. So during the time im saving i could buy flight training aids so when it comes to the exams i would be more prepered.

Ok then. Thanks for the advice. I wasnt totaly sure on how i should approch it.

So i save my money up and when i have enough i can train 4 hrs a week.
Well thats solved one of my problems.

Also i want to know whats the easiet way on owning an aircraft. Iv'e herd about that share thing but what if i want the aircraft to my self.

Do i pay monthly or do i have to pay in full cash?

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'm not too sure. Buying an aircraft is an expensive investment with many aspects that people forget about. Sharing it seems the best way to go.

Have a read of this:

You have to buy this, but I'd highly recommend anyone reading a detailed guide or instructions on whats involved:

D190 Guest

thanks. Im gona look more into this. See ya latter.

Pro Member Chief Captain

D190 wrote:

thanks. Im gona look more into this. See ya latter.

Good luck! 👍

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

may I ask where you will do your training?

D190 Guest

sure! Im training at claton aroclub. Its the cheapest airfield that i could find.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

I realise from what you have stated above that money is an issue....believe me however when I tell you cheapest up front cost is not necessarily the best long term answer. What you also need to do is look at the club, aircraft and get some feedback from students. Good luck anyway.

D190 Guest

ill go around and ask people. Some great pilots trained at that airfield i here. Some well known pilots had trained at that airfield. i dont have many concerns. Anyway im saving £2000 by going to this airfield.

D190 Guest

iv'e decided not to become a member. I dont spend enough time here to consider joining. Anyway i spend most of my time at freethinkers forum. You know atheism.

I love flying but most of the time i dont realy know what to talk about. So im not going join.

Madbrit Guest

I don't know your personal cirumstances and I wouldn't want to put you off.

The best way to look at the cost of aircraft ownership is to calculate the cost per hour per year and the cost per flight hour per year. Then you can compare it to the hourly cost of renting an aircraft. Don't forget to add instructor, insurance, landing fees and fuel charges on top of that.

There will still be times that your own aircraft would not be available such as planned maintenance, annual check etc, and unplanned maintenance, when something breaks. If you needed or wanted to fly during those times you would have to rent anyway.

For cost per hour per year take the total annual costs and divide by 8760 (24 x 365).

For cost per flight hour take the total annual cost and divide by a reasonable number of hours you'd expect to fly in a year. (Without checking stats I'm guessing that if you flew four hours a week, every week, you'd probably be well above the average for a private flyer. Remember that in your first couple of years you'll be more likely to hit 200 hours per year as you go through Private and IFR ratings). So divide the total annual costs by 200 to give you a rough idea.

As a sole owner you have to pay for everything. And everything is a lot - loan repayments, re-certification fees, frame maintenance, engine checkouts and maintenance, avionics updates and maintenance, oil, fuel, hangar space (optional), insurance, and so on and so on.

And for most of the time your aircraft will be sat on the tarmac looking very pretty for the passers by. Even if you flew 4 hours a day that's still 20 hours a day unused.

We have a company flying club with three aircraft in the joint ownership of about 30 members (C152, C172 and a Piper Arrow). With 30 members, and a bit of juggling and negotiation, it's not really a problem getting an aircraft when it's wanted.

Monthly fees are $65 (£35) each member and the aircraft wet rates (including fuel and oil) average out about $75 (£40) per flight hour. That comes out at about $8,000 (£4,325) a year per aircraft from monthly subscriptions and that covers basic costs and a small surplus which goes towards future major expenditure like a new engine or new flaps. We survive, but we do get hangar space for free at our base at the local airport.

Two of the aircraft are owned outright with only a small loan outstanding on the third.

So in our case the cost per hour is about $1 (55p). Cost per flight hour is about $75 (£40).

A local FBO charges well in excess of that so in our case, shared ownership is very worthwhile as long as we maintain about 30 members.

You can see where the phrase $100 (or £100) hamburger comes from.

D190 Guest

I can see who expensive it is. So say i had an income of £14,000 a year would i be able to pay for my aircraft monthly?

Anyway what are the costs for fuel and the costs of maintainance. I already know the price for parking your aircraft. its £5 each day. Its £10 to park it in the hanger.

I've seen how expensive it is to buy electronics....YOW!!!

The GPS costs a lest £202! And thats basic! For a more advanced one it costs £600-800!

Would you think with an income of £14,000 that ill be able to afford an aircraft(Monthly)?......and the fuel and maintanance.

Jamie4590 Guest

I think when learning to fly its no different ot learning to drive. One hour a week which allows the student to absorb what has been learnt. It will take longer but I think it will make for a better more prepared pilot.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...