PCA (Propulsion Controled Flight)

Jamie4590 Guest

This is a technique NASA have been developing since the missile attack on the cargo plane over Baghdad. On that occasion the crew somehow landed the plane using just the engine output. Turns, climbs, descent and a miraculously comfortable landing all just using the throttle because the hydraulics were damaged when the left wing was hit by the missile. In the NASA tests they have landed an MD-11 (heavy landing but otherwise fine ILS landing) with throttle adjustment only. Fascinating stuff. Airlines dismiss new developments within hydraulics due to the rare occasions that it causes problems. This is true only statistically. Why don't the governing bodies force them too? Placing shut off valves along the pipe lines to prevent complete hydraulic failure from a single breach would be a good start.

Maybe PCA will unlock a future of completely automated flights!?

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

A lot of skill is needed for PCA. It does rarely happen that aircraft stays without the hydrolics but when it does... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Interesting, I'd never heard of PCA. This is what I found.

PCA uses special programing so that the autopilot can control the thrust of the engines to control the aircraft in event of controls failure. 🙂

Here's more information.
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/news/NewsReleases/1995/95-19.html

Jamie4590 Guest

erm I just noticed I put PCF in the subject heading instead of PCA (flight) Embarassed

Its the weekend and I'm allowed a beer at weekends. 🍻 Blink 🍻 Blink 🍻 Blink Blink Puke Up Puke Up

Pro Member First Officer
spitfiresrule First Officer

Wow good for you a beer for the weekend 🙄 🙄 what are you like 10 "I get a beer" Good for you Censored

Pro Member First Officer
violentviolet First Officer

I think i remember another flight that "landed" and then broke up on the runway, using engine power only.
I think it was in Soux City(forgive the spelling). It might have been an L1011,or a MD-11,but in any case one of the fan blades in the centre engine sheared off, desroying the whole engine along with all the hydraulics for the tail.The pilot and co-pilot were tyring to steer it in the right direction while a
passenger, who through some twist of fate,was also a pilot worked the remaining two engines.They managed to land it, but as i said before it crashed on the ground, and went up in flames.Remarkablly i think over 100 people survived, including the flight crew.

Jamie4590 Guest

Violentviolet, yes the program showed some footage of that. It was very sad. The aircraft was in an emergency after a hydrolic failure but broke up on landing. About 50% of the passengers died. Sorry I don't know know the exact figures. 😞

Spitfiresrule, I get the impression you're a T***. Would I be correct?[/quote]

Pro Member First Officer
spitfiresrule First Officer

Jamie you are not correct because I am not the one who likes to brag about having a beer on the weekends........... No, No!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

spitfiresrule wrote:

Jamie you are not correct because I am not the one who likes to brag about having a beer on the weekends........... No, No!

Lighten up....

Jamie4590 Guest

Sorry to drag this on but what was the big deal with what I said about having a beer Spitfire (which wasn't even aimed at you).

Perhaps your jealous as your only allowed the occasional shandy or maybe you're a reformed alcoholic??

I wouldn't have reacted the way you did so maybe its the latter. Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i saw a program on the md-11 crash, but also on heavy metal i believe (oh yes!) it showed an airbus simulator with failure and how the engines could automatically do everything for the pilot while he just flew 'normally'.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

hinch wrote:

i saw a program on the md-11 crash, but also on heavy metal i believe (oh yes!) it showed an airbus simulator with failure and how the engines could automatically do everything for the pilot while he just flew 'normally'.

All airbuses are eqipped with that system. Baically when you exceed certain limits you just let go and the aircrafts recovers fron the "mess" that the pilot made. Smart aircraft 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...