TCAS Warnings

Jamie4590 Guest

I've had a few close shaves but thats still a matter of a few miles apart. It seems the other traffic will not react to a proximity hazard. Is this just default traffic or does add-on traffic have AI that takes evasive action in the same way I would?

I understand that the different lights on an aircraft reflect its position relative to you and sky etiquette dictates who does what in that VFR situation. Is this correct and does it apply in emergency IMC conditions where two pilots reading the TCAS warnings will know which way to turn? Its no good in a near imminent collision for both pilots to turn in the same direction.

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I'm not sure how it works in commercial aviation, but in GA, pilots are taught to bank to the right in the event of a possible collision - obviously thats visual conditions without TCAS, but I imagine it'd be fairly similar for larger aircraft, except a climb and descent will probably be initiated for each aircraft.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

You are correct about right of way in VMC/VFR but it's not by etiquette but by regulation.

The TCAS system is designed so that if two TCAS equipped both receive an alert (RA), each aircraft will alter position opposite the other. This will occur VMC or IMC. You react to the warning then tell ATC, in that order. 🙂

Jamie4590 Guest

In FS does other traffic react to collision warnings in the same way or can this be achieved with an add-on?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I vaguely remember hearing about an air collision where two aircraft on a collision course altered their direction to the same to put themselves on a new collision course (i.e. they both banked right). I can't remember any specific details though.

😉

Jamie4590 Guest

So in the real world in a collision crisis where there is no visibility the pilot knows that the other pilot is going to bank right and as long they do the same the crisis will pass. Do FS traffic display the same awareness? I get various audio and visual warnings from my TCAS but I cant find tutorials on how to fully understand it or what the regulated distances are.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

99jolegg wrote:

I vaguely remember hearing about an air collision where two aircraft on a collision course altered their direction to the same to put themselves on a new collision course (i.e. they both banked right). I can't remember any specific details though.

😉

I remember something like this on National Geographic Jon. But what I remember it was 2 commercial airliners adn the TCAS went off and told one to climb and the other do desend but one aircraft did the opposite and crashed into the other.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

On a IFR flight plan, ATC separates aircrafts. In event this fails TCAS will alert and give a vertical descent or climb indication(no bank information). I don't know how TCAS works in FS, I would think that the warnings would be the same but not sure if AI aircraft would turn. It doesn't matter, if you follow the TCAS, the collision should be avoided. Both aircraft don't have to react. All aircraft don't have TCAS. If the threat aircraft doesn't have a ATC transponder, TCAS is useless. 🙂

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCAS

Jamie4590 Guest

Another reason why I should start using ATC! Does AI aircraft follow ATC comands and can this be seen real-time or is this a good reason to have a TCAS panel? Or can it only be achieved through a traffic software add-on?

Can the avarage system handle multiple add-ons such as ATC, scenery and traffic?

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

using atc has no effect on avoiding the ai - twice today i've had aircrafts come over the top of me to land (a 747 and mc11 - much heavier/faster than me!). fortunately they got the go around, but boy do they miss the glideslope...

just a note, doesn't TCAS2 automatically avoid a collison with both aircraft moving in opposite directions. i think this was to stop a pilot just quickly yanking back on the stick and stalling...though this is a feature already in airbus aircraft increasing power without anyone touching the throttle.

complicated stuff 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Jared wrote:

99jolegg wrote:

😉

I remember something like this on National Geographic Jon. But what I remember it was 2 commercial airliners adn the TCAS went off and told one to climb and the other do desend but one aircraft did the opposite and crashed into the other.

What happend in this case(if its the same one) was TCAS told both pilots what to do,ie one climb ,one desend,but ATC told one to climb,the wrong one Crying or Very sad

AIsmooth will vector aircraft way from each other better than the standard FS AI

Search for AIsmooth on avsim

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...