FS2004 on a Mac Pro?

D3LM3L Guest

I'm getting a new computer very soon- an Apple Mac Pro. I'll be installing Boot Camp on it to run Windows and play FS2004 on it. How will it run with these specs?

Two 2GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
1GB (2 x 512MB)
250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Looks good, I don't know what kind of memory hog the latest Mac OS is, XP likes 128mb but Vista will eat 512 to 1 gig.

Install memory if you need or I should say the sim loves all the memory it can get.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Radar

D3LM3L Guest

Memory is extremely expensive for the Mac Pro.. it uses these insane FB-DIMMs that cost $200 for 2x512MB. Mac OS X is also a memory hog but only to a certain extent- if you have 1GB, it'll run amazingly well, and anything higher just gives you more multitasking.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Give it a chance, it may not be able to run full out, but most of us can't do that any way.
Nothing to lose but everything to gain

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

D3LM3L wrote:

I'm getting a new computer very soon- an Apple Mac Pro. I'll be installing Boot Camp on it to run Windows and play FS2004 on it. How will it run with these specs?

Two 2GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
1GB (2 x 512MB)
250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB

It will probably run okay, but as far as I know, there is no code in Windows XP, Vista or FS to take advantage of two processors.

D3LM3L Guest

How many FPS do you guys think I'd get at fairly high settings?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

High setting and graphic intensive areas, not to well, even if it were a PC not a Mac.

You'll be able to get default or better depending on the area and or add-on scenery-aircraft.

It'll do good but don't expect a hot machine because it isn't. It's better than mine so you should do well.

Radar

D3LM3L Guest

RadarMan wrote:

High setting and graphic intensive areas, not to well, even if it were a PC not a Mac.

You'll be able to get default or better depending on the area and or add-on scenery-aircraft.

It'll do good but don't expect a hot machine because it isn't. It's better than mine so you should do well.

Radar

What would it need to perform better?

Monkeh Guest

Remember to assign the proccess in task manager to one core.

So it gets a nice lots of proccessing power to itself.

Apart from that there's not much else. Remember the mac pro takes standard pci e graphics so you can upgrade *easily* to some nice cards. Your GPU is the biggest hinder in your system, it's no slouch though 🙂 Xeons are awesome...

F-5E Tiger II Guest

I once ask the same question to the guys here. 'Been thinking about getting a MacBook Pro and was contemplating about running FS2004 thru Windows XP via Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop. If you got doubts about FS2004's compatibility with the Mac OS X 10.4, you might wanna check out these alternatives:

[img]http://www.graphsim.com/GeneratedItems/images/X-Plane-8-Box-Front-Flat-small.jpg
X-Plane 8.0

[/img]http://www.x-plane.com/pictures/MartinBalcomb9_sm.jpg
Screenshot (X-Plane 8.0)

[img]http://images.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/simulation_and_sports/images/flightgear_200604031831.jpg
Screenshot (FlightGear - freeware)[/img]

These simulators are compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. Just my 2 cents.

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

We have just posted an article about running FSX on a Mac:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4665/

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...