Flight planner problems

Falconer Guest

Hello, when I plan a flight, from lets say Heathrow to Kennedy Intl, the route goes all the way to alaska and then it turns towards New York. Whats wrong? I canĀ“t fly all the way to alaska from london and then turn back towards new york? Thats ridiculous lol 😕

BTW, I chose IFR flight and "High altitude airways" in the options.

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

The shortest distance on a sphere (The Earth) is a curved line called a Great Circle route. 🙂
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_circle

Falconer Guest

I see, but the route goes so far west of alaska so that I almost end up in Russia. Then it suddenly takes a steep turn towards New York.

Thx for your help anyways 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Why do you use high altitude airways?

Immanuel Guest

Set to "Direct GPS"

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I just took a look at the route that you are trying to fly, it's a misunderstanding of what you what and what the planner can accomplish. You are requesting high altitude routing via airways. High altitude airways require VOR stations on the ground to make up those airways. For an over the ocean flight, high altitude airways don't exist and are not flown. For an airliner to fly over the ocean, it must have GPS or FMC in order to navigate between waypoints over the ocean. The default flight planner can navigate these routes using the GPS but if you ask it to find airways, it will send you wherever it has to to use airways, it won't automatically find a over water route using waypoints. If you use a route finder, you can determine the waypoints for inclusion in the flight planner. If you don't want to go to all of that trouble, use GPS direct. It won't be exactly what the real aircraft fly but it will be close enough. 🙂

Falconer Guest

Acutally, I had no idea what high altidude and low altitude meant. I know that Direct GPS creates a straight line to the destination but I read somewhere that high altitude airways are what real airlines use so I chose that. Thank you very much CRJ for explaining what they mean 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

You can get all the waypoints from this site

RouteFinder and then copy & paste the route into FSroute and then export into the PMDG/Level-D or FS.

Simply

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...