A blast from the past

Thriell Guest

I know this is gonna generate a laugh from somebody, but I have a question related to FS95 (Yes, I'm actually still using it - fixed income / diabled / lots of medical bills / priorities)

Once I ran into a link talking about a way to use Flight Shop with FS95 by creating a fake FlightSim5 directory. Problem is, the link was 10 yeas old and no longer works.

Anyone know how to pull this off?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Did you try this one, the top seems to work.

What version of Windows are you using.

Radar

Thriell Guest

Did you try this one, the top seems to work.

That was the link I was talking about . . . the download link points to a site that has gone to the great bit-bucket in the sky.

What version of Windows are you using.

Win98 SE

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Email this guy and see if he can help.
He has FS95 downloads.

Radar

Thriell Guest

Email this guy and see if he can help.
He has FS95 downloads.

He's apparently not answering emails from strangers about a web site that hasn't been updated since July of 2003.

Sigh Wall Bashing

Thriell Guest

How to install Flight Shop when you have FS95 and not FS5

Okay, I spent almost 3 months looking for this information and, because it was originally released 10 years ago, almost every link I found to this file was broken. I checked old usenet articles via Google Groups and I found a lot of people asking this question and a lot of people answering. "go download this file from that website" - with 'that website' being one that no longer exists.

Because of the trouble I had in finding this info, I'm posting a valid URL =AND= the basic proceedure outlined in the file. Hopefully, this will give some other poor schlep the assistance that THIS poor schlep needed (but really didn't have).

To use Flight Simulator Flight Shop with Flight Simulator for Windows 95 (AKA FS95, FS6, FlightSim 95, FlightSim 6) use the information found in the zip file located
(Note that flightsim.com will require you to log in to your account there before downloading this).At least until January of 2007, there'll be a copy of this file available at http://otherendoftheinter.net/mwfsfs95.zip.

OR, simply use the following information:

(Note: While the original document is (C) MicroWings, the fact that it was/is available for free download leads me to believe that the *Information* can be passed around, as long as the Copyrighted document isn't copied. Therefore, what follows is My own creation. This document carries no copyright and, **NO WARRANTY - express or implied** It worked for me. That's the closest thing to a guarantee you're getting. I'm not responsible for your use of this information or the results thereof. Proceed at your own risk.)

I Preparation

Flight Shop's setup wants to find FlightSim 5 on your system. If you don't have it installed, then you need to make a fake FLTSIM5 directory with some phoney files in it.

1) Make a directory - C:\FLTSIM5

2) Make a second directory - C:\FLTSIM5\PANELS

3) In the C:\FLTSIM5 directory, you'll need to make some dummy files. Since it doesn't matter what these files are, as long as the names are right, the easiest way is to pick a short file (any file) and copy it here, then change the name to FS5.INI

4) Copy the FS5.ini file you just created, then paste it back into this directory 4 more times. Name these new files FS5.COM, FSO001.FSO, FS5.OVL, and FSD001.FSO (be sure not to confuse the letter (O) with the number (0)!!!!).

5) In the C:\FLTSIM5\PANELS directory, paste another copy of our dummy file, and rename it to PANELSET.FS5

II Setting up Flight Shop

1) Run the Flight Shop setup program.

a) Be sure to give it the path to the folder you just made (C:\FLTSIM5) and NOT your FS95 folder.

b) Select the other parts of the program you wish to install (FlightShop, for creating ATC Adventures or Aircraft Factory for designing and building your own aircraft) and where they should be installed.

2) You will get a warning that Setup failed. IGNORE IT. This is normal with this proceedure. By the time Setup decides it's failed, it's already installed everything we're after!

3) Somewhere on the internet there are some updated WAV files for Win95. The ones that come with Flight Shop have a very low volume under Win95. If you can find these, they need to be put in your FS95's SOUND folder.

III - Cleaning up

1) At this point, you should copy the APLC.EXE program from your C:\FLTSIM5\ADV directory to your Flight Sim 95's ADV directory.

2) The first time you run the adventure creation program (C:\FLTSHOP\FSFSADV.EXE) you'll want to go to the Options menu and select 'Set Path to Adv compiler' then specify the directory where you just moved APLC.EXE (C:\Micros~1\FS95\Adv\Aplc.exe if you're using the default FS95 path).

3) Also on the Options menu, you'll need to 'Set Path to FS5'. This can be any .exe file on your system. It is recommended that you set this to point at FSCONV.EXE - the Flight Shop converter for FS95. Any adventures created with Flight Shop will need to be converted before FS95 can understand them. Setting this option like this allows you to convert your adventure for FS95 just by clicking the toolbar icon with an airplane on it.

4) At this point, if you installed the Aircraft Factory (C:\AF5\Af5.exe) you're done. If, on the other hand, you elected NOT to install the Aircraft Factory then you can safely delete the C:\FLTSIM5 directory that was necessary for Setup to work. Aircraft Factory uses this directory for storing airplanes and panels, but without Af5.exe, there's really no need to keep this directory.

I hope that at some point this information is helpful to someone.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...