Black Hawk Down

Jamie4590 Guest

I've been wanting to check this out for a while and finally picked it up today. Any comments on it?

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Great film - I enjoyed it 👍

Quite a lot of blood and gore though if that deters you.

Jamie4590 Guest

As long as its factually correct I don't mind war horror. I'm not blood thirsty and hate gory horrors but love a good war movie thats accurate.

Pro Member First Officer
violentviolet First Officer

I remember the documentry of this incident.
I don't recall the ins and outs of the programme, but what i do remember,is that before the hostage pilot was released,his captors were issued with this message from Bill Clinton,"Release our pilot NOW......or else".

Jamie4590 Guest

Thats got me exited about the film now. 😀

You see, I'm on hols but my missis is away with her family and has been for 2 months. Crying or Very sad I've lost all motivation to do anything so am just on the hunt for good fims. Preferabely ones I've not seen before. I saw Clear & present Danger recently and had forgotten how good it is. I love the bit where a soldier guides a laser guided missile down to the target and then after its hit say to the pilot something like.....

"Full detonation, on target, have a nice day!" 😀

Any comments on the Aviator??

Pro Member First Officer

Jamie4590 wrote:

Any comments on the Aviator??

Hmmmm,If in doubt....Say nowt! 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Loved The Aviator, got me really interested in the life of Howard Hughes.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Black Hawk Down = Nice Movie and nice game too.
Aviator = Great history,nice movie.It would be a great one if they had choose other actor than Leonardo Di Caprio Puke Up

Pro Member First Officer

Greekman72 wrote:

Black Hawk Down = Nice Movie and nice game too.
Aviator = Great history,nice movie.It would be a great one if they had choose other actor than Leonardo Di Caprio Puke Up

I think a double barf bag is required as far as Di Caprio is concerned! 😂 Puke Up Puke Up

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Blackawk Down was excellent. The Aviator was very good. Di Crappio was Horse Horse Horse Yucky Yucky Yucky 🍅 🍅 🍅 Puke Up Puke Up Puke Up

EDIT: The name spelling was deliberate.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Blackawk Down was excellent. The Aviator was very good. Di Crappio was Horse Horse Horse Yucky Yucky Yucky 🍅 🍅 🍅 Puke Up Puke Up Puke Up

EDIT: The name spelling was deliberate.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I beg to differ. The only reason I bought The Aviator was for the scenes concerning aviation. I found most of those slightly disappointing - more could have been done.

For me, Leonardo DiCaprio made the film. His acting abilities shone and it's obvious that those who expected a 'Titanic - DiCaprio' would have been disappointed.

As I have never bothered to even watch the trailers of 'Titanic' (mass hype always scares me off), I was able to approach DiCaprios performance with an open mind.
Just because he seemingly can't get rid of his baby face doesn't mean he can't act. The guy has more talent than Tom Cruise will ever have.
Just goes to show that media hype is what makes up our minds for us.

OT: I read somewhere that Ava Gardner didn't like Howard Hughes "...because he smelled like a sewer."

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

I agree with you on Dicaprio, TH. Always thought he was a pretty good actor - very convincing in his roles, beginning with The Basketball Diaries.

imo 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

And what about 'Catch me if you can' 😳

Sadly many great talents get assassinated if they fail to please the paparazzi and the so called 'professional critics'.
Just look at the likes of Donald Sutherland or Dustin Hoffman - two of the greatest actors alive, yet neither of them did get a decent gig for decades. Makes you wonder why.

Jamie4590 Guest

Black Hawk Down is a great film. I was intrigued before I watched it as it won an Oscar for best editing and best sound. It was clear to see why. I always feel a bit uneasy watching a war flim because many people had to die to create a piece of entertainment.

A quote from Plato at the very beginning of the film:

"Only the dead see the end of war"

😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I didn't like DiCaprio in Titanic and I didn't think he did a terribly good portrayal of Howard Hughes. Perhaps, the fact that I actually remember Howard Hughes, gives me something to compare the film against.

Of course, it could be that I just don't like DiCaprio, I don't like Sean Penn, either.

Last edited by CrashGordon on Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Um, they didn't kill people in the filmind though?Do you mean actors faking to die or is this a real war film?

Jamie4590 Guest

I think DiCaprio was fantastic in Catch me if you can. I think it was his finest moment.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Black Hawk Down is very good and largely accurate with some artistic license thrown in to make for better film sequences and to put certain characters in places they were not actually at.

I recommend read the book first, it is very detailed and a fantastic read - then when you watch the film you can see where they have changed things around a little.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...