How in-depth do you plan your flights?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well recently I just started planning all my flights around actual flights that are flown. Including times, dates, the airports of course, with the correct planes, using the right call signs and what not. Now recently got even more indepth by learning the exact route that is flown, and even the altitude it is flown at. Call me crazy but I think it makes everything even more realistic and enjoyable. 🙂

So basically this is my rundown.

1 - I find the plane and the airline I want to fly.
2 - Download and print out the official airline timetables for the airport I want to fly out of. (most airlines have these available on there websites)
3 - Figure out which route I'm going to find, go to www.airnav.com look up both airports, print out all charts that I require.
4 - Find out the flight number I'm going to fly, head over to www.flightaware.com look up the flight, note the route and altitude of the flight.
5 - Load up FSBuild and build my flight to the exact route as in real life.
6 - Start of FS, load to correct time, load up Active Sky, Radar Contact, and start up FS Pax and fly. 🙂

Oh man am I a nerd. Wink

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Don't forget, check weather. http://www.jeppesen.com/aviation/personal/aviation-weather.jsp

Look at the wind/icing/turbulence charts to help determine cruise altitude.

Pro Member First Officer
spitfiresrule First Officer

Wow sounds great ❗ I wish I could have the time and patience to do that planning, but then again in the real world the ops guys make the flight plans etc. lol

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

It doesn't take that long at all. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer

I do the same flying Delta from boston to kjfk and boston to kmia instead of using the CRJ 100/737/MD80/CRJ 700/757 i use my sweatheart level-d 767 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Certainly a realistic way of doing things - I hope its as enjoyable as it sounds 👍

Pro Member Trainee
Mitchell Delaney (minicaptain) Trainee

how do you create your own flightpath, does fs come with a default way of doin it or do i hav to download something for it?

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

It more than likely takes Solotwo about 10mins to set up the flight. If that.

Also Solotwo what's Radar Contact like? What do you make of it? I've looked over there website and looks good. I believe your the first person I've seen using it. What are the pro's and con's?

Cheers

Steve

Immanuel Guest

Well... I´m just like you, I´m very in-depth, I want it as realistic as possible, I think alot about the passaengers, about their comfort onboard and all other such things..

Jamie4590 Guest

I also do a lot of pre-flight planning. Its part of the fun. I have a main A4 sheet with all the information I could possibly need en-route and the heading the aircraft should be on at each stage as well as the turns the aircraft makes in-between waypoints. This really helps me learn more about navigation as I can tell just be checking my heading where on the flight path I am. I also have space to complete fuel readings and other stuff en-route and make notes of errors that might arise. I also use different coloured post-it notes with various info as the flight progresses on the wall above my monitor. Yellow for cruise flight, green for deceleration and descent and red notes are for approach and landing and contain basic info such as GEAR DOWN in big letters (don't ask :oops🙂

I like to do this so I have all the required information at my fingertips from the very start and have no need to pause the flight for any reason such as going to the map screen to get the ILS frequency on approach.

As I fly the Concorde I am restricted on the routes I can fly. Some countries wouldn't allow Concorde in their airspace because of the increased noise but considering the noise abatement procedure was introduced I think it could be more down to jealousy. Whistle

"Planning is everything"

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Liono wrote:

It more than likely takes Solotwo about 10mins to set up the flight. If that.

Also Solotwo what's Radar Contact like? What do you make of it? I've looked over there website and looks good. I believe your the first person I've seen using it. What are the pro's and con's?

Cheers

Steve

Its probably one of my favorite addon's. There can be a slight learning curve at first because the ATC used by radar contact nearly identical to how its used in real life. So the only con I think would be it may take a few flights to get used to new terms that are used. But it really adds to the realism and fun of flying IMO. If you don't wanna use Vatsim this is the next best thing. Also Radar Contact knows of all SID's and STAR's so you can actually fly them unlike with the normal ATC. If you see weather, you can ask to vary your course because of it, for turbulence, everything. You can declare emergencys, and they can vector you to the nearest airport. Also you can turn on hold patterns incase the weather is bad or if there is too much traffic.

If you do get it, and I suggest everyone does, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

I've been think of buying it for quite a while now. But your coments have finally made me put my hand into my wallet and pulling out my credit card. When I next get paid I think I'll buy it.

As I don't have time to fly on VATSIM I think Radar Contact is the next best thing.

Cheers

Pro Member First Officer

Liono wrote:

I've been think of buying it for quite a while now. But your coments have finally made me put my hand into my wallet and pulling out my credit card. When I next get paid I think I'll buy it.

As I don't have time to fly on VATSIM I think Radar Contact is the next best thing.

Cheers

Liono, same here i love flying on VATSIM but can hardly find the time to and Radar Contact is the next best alternative, the only dislikes about RC4 is the robot voices but other than that is the best AI ATC i ever used.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Robot? There are like 10 or more different real voices.

Pro Member First Officer

Yes, that would be Robot, unless im missing a voice pack update.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Haha, I don't hear any robots. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer

Solotwo wrote:

Haha, I don't hear any robots. 🙂

lmao, well i found out my problem...it helps to have the sound card on normal and not robo hall setting, omg im going to kill the kid.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...