On approach w/ Vatsim...need charts..what do you do?

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Sometimes, an aircraft will be required to perform a procedure turn before final approach. To know how to execute this turn, the pilot needs approach plates, but lets assume he didn't happen to be carrying the charts for that specific runway, because he assumed he'd be landing on another runway, (and your flying on Vatsim by the way), what do you do? Pause the sim and go download a set of charts? Pilots on Vatsim cannot possibly be expected to print every single chart for the dep/arr airports, can they? Thanks for your replies in advance. 😉

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

That is a good question considering the fact that you are not allowed to pause the game while flying VATSIM

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

I have a fairly extensive chart collection for the airports I fly into most, which isn't too difficult to get, but if you ever find yourself without charts you should communicate that fact to the ATC while you're still on the STAR. Regardless of how busy they are they will vector you in on approach to ensure you get there safely.

If you want a tip on how to print a large chart collection without wasting paper or space, simply cut your 8 1/2 x 11 paper into 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 paper (so cut the paper in half). If you specify the new size in your .pdf program it should re-size automatically. Now you can print on both sides of these pages, and what used to give you only one oversized chart can now give you four perfectly sized ones!

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Thanks for the tip OG 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

You should ALWAYS have charts. 🙂 Unless your flying into a huge airport there aren't too many charts to print. Just print on both sides of the paper. 🙂

www.myairplane.com

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

As this is a question about VATSIM, I feel I need to respond as a controller. The correct action is to ask the controller for vectors. You will be guided to intercept the ILS or VOR track to land. Don't worry 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Man Vatsim sounds so interesting and fun. Just gotta figure out how it works because I have no clue. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

originalgrunge wrote:

I have a fairly extensive chart collection for the airports I fly into most, which isn't too difficult to get, but if you ever find yourself without charts you should communicate that fact to the ATC while you're still on the STAR. Regardless of how busy they are they will vector you in on approach to ensure you get there safely.

If you want a tip on how to print a large chart collection without wasting paper or space, simply cut your 8 1/2 x 11 paper into 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 paper (so cut the paper in half). If you specify the new size in your .pdf program it should re-size automatically. Now you can print on both sides of these pages, and what used to give you only one oversized chart can now give you four perfectly sized ones!

Good to see you OG. 👍

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...