Landing a Boeing

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Hi guys! I am having some problems with landings, generally with Boeings.
I usually fly Cessna or Mooney, and also Beechcraft. I don't usually fly Boeings, but now I'm interested on flying those big planes. There were times that I flew a Boeing 777 travelling a looong trip.
Anyway, I'd like to know how to land Boeings. Please, someone tell me, or make a list of steps, how to land Boeings. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,

Agus0404

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Getting ready for the Big iron Fear

Here is a link with all you need to know(dont worry about it saying fs2002 as it more or less the same) ➡

Good luck

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

The 3 default Boeing Planes are all quite different but to give some general advice:-

- The 747 and 777 take a LONG TIME to slow down, on approach! So there is a tendency to bring them in too fast, then realise you're not going to descend quickly enough, so you push the stick forward to get the plane down and of course crash !

So slow your speed off as you get towards your Airport / Approach.

WATCH YOUR LANDING SPEED! I land at 140 in the 737 and 747 and 150 in the 777... These aren't the technical landing speeds, they just work reliably for me.

If you're not using A/P on ILS, then line up very GENTLY, light banks to the left and right only, if you bank too much you'll never straighten up in time.

I find it's best too land the Boeing's using the "SPOT" view... Press 2 key (with Num Lock on) to get a good level view, behind the plane and bring her in gently.... (Get your speed steady first as you can't see your Speed Display from this type of view).

scotteiboi Guest

I've noticed that you guys are landing a 747 @ 140 ias, in the posky 747's i cannot land below 185 with full flaps...what am i doing wrong? TY!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

what do u mean "cant land"? As in, do you stall or somethin like that? Once I know that, I'll b able to help u...i spent at least 4 weeks doing ALL the flight lessons...i would think i know my stuff 😛

scotteiboi Guest

Sorry what i meant to say was that i always land at a high speed instead of the normal speed....i come in to fast...

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I don't fly the big jets but I'd take a guess that your coming in at too steep an angle.

Radar

Pro Member Captain

Yip - RadarMan is right, I reckon you're coming in at too steep an angle for this big bird....

The best way to land this beast is to use AutoPilot on the APPR (Approach) setting... But this is a ZERO TOLERANCE aircraft and there are some factors that MUST be correct, or things will go wrong (such as stalling, or hitting the ground too hard and fast)...

- FLAP minimum speeds MUST be adhered to... ie... Flaps 1 at 190kts, etc.

- You must land on FLAPS 30, but do not select this too early or you're nose will go flying up! work through the flaps until you get to Flaps 25 at about 500 feet, then hit Flaps 30.

- You must enter the Glideslope at the appropriate altitude (I usually get directed (by ATC) to come in at 1,800 which is quite low but this beast needs a gentle glide angle.

- You must reduce speed gently and in stages... enter the approach at 190 to 200kts, then as you work down the glideslope, slowly adjust the A/P SPEED down so that you get to 150kts when you're at about 500 feet.

- You must disengage the AutoThrottle at this stage and slowly cut power in order to get to the 'touchdown' speed of 140kts...

- If you leave the A/P on until touchdown the Glideslope will not curve out and you will almost certainly crash... so you need to hit the 'Z' key at about 100 to 150 feet and straighten out a little so that this barge hits the runway at a more level angle....

I've been practicing ALL weekend on the 747 as I've found it hard to master but I can safely say that by discovering the above I can land this every time now.... this morning I completed my most perfect 747 landing yet... hardly needed much Reverse thrust and made the first Taxiway off, at LAX... !

scotteiboi Guest

What i am saying is that this beast will not slow down to 140 ias and when i do, i stall and hit the ground hard, even though i am not at a steep angle....

Pro Member Captain

And what I am saying is that it won't slow down to 140 if you're descending at too steep an angle..... Coming in too steeply will be what is causing the aircraft to go too fast....

Before you approach get in lower (1,800) at about 190kts, or even 220kts if you're having trouble slowing down....

Remeber, you're not supposed to be descending at 140kts - this is the touchdown speed... most of yuor descent will be at about 170ish....

Ultimately, it comes down to practice, it's the hardest of the FS2004 default planes to land, so it does take a lot of practice but you'll be chuffed when you master it.

Good luck.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

If you are having trouble seeing where you are going hit the enter and up key (below the enter key)and you should get a better veiw( hit the space bar to reset)

Hope it helps

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

The most important thing you must do to get a good landing is to stabilize your approach, in all the heavys I fly, I have all the flaps I'm going to need out at or above 1000' agl. By that time, your speed should also be stabilized as well, I.E. 140-150 in 737 150-160 in 777, 160+ in 747, weight dependent. I usually cut power and flare around 50 -75' above the rnwy.

Pro Member Trainee
pancho54 Trainee

🙄 I AM NEW IN THIS FORUM, BUT IN REAL LIFE I DO HAVE A FEW THOUSAND HOURS OF REAL FLIGHT TIME, SINCE I STARTED FLYING AT 20 AND I AM NOW 54 AND GOING.
I STARTED FLYING DC3(C-47) DC4 AND DC6-7-T-28-LEARS DC8 AND SO ON.
THERE IS ONE THING CALLED PERFORMANCE-EVERY A/C IS DIFFERENT.
YOU CAN FLY BY AOA(ANGLE OF ATTACK)- BUT THE BEST FOR YOU I THING IS TO TAKE OFF AND PLAY WITH THE PLANE, SLOW SPEED-STALLS WITH FLAPS, CLEAN,WITH POWER-WITHOUT POWER-WITH LANDING GEAR DOWN ETC ETC

AT DIFFERENT GROSS WEIGHTS AND SO ON, THE YOU WILL KNOW AT WHAT SPEEDS YOU CAN COME IN, DON'T FORGET THE + OR MINUS 5 KNOTS FOR THE GRAND MOTHER OR GUSTY WINDS OR WIND SHEAR.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

It sounds to me like you are too heavy when you're landing. If you are close to gross weight you won't be able to go slower than 180-190kts without falling out of the sky. You should also have your final flap setting at least 1000' agl on approach.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

I don't fly the big jets but I'd take a guess that your coming in at too steep an angle.

Radar

I always fly the big jets but I can't land them (or any plane for that matter) 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I hope you're just making a joke. If not, you can start a new post, PM me, or catch me on MSN, and I'll run through how to land.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...