Hard Landings

Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

Brace yourselves gentlemen, this is a long one.
The only thing preventing me from getting 100% flight report in FSpax is my landings. They are always too hard. Im flying a downloaded 737-700. I normally use approach hold so I can concentrate on flaps and speed etc and then disengage autopilot when Co-pilot calls out minimums so I can touch down manually. When I land though the passengers always get scared. Looking back at the post flight report it says my landing speed is around 135-145Kias with a decent rate at 400-500ft/m. Im assuming I need to decrease my decent rate but I don't know how. Does anybody have any ideas on how to help me? Please please please.
Thanks in advance.

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
cumpaniciu_one Guest

Odyssey wrote:

Brace yourselves gentlemen, this is a long one.
The only thing preventing me from getting 100% flight report in FSpax is my landings. They are always too hard. Im flying a downloaded 737-700. I normally use approach hold so I can concentrate on flaps and speed etc and then disengage autopilot when Co-pilot calls out minimums so I can touch down manually. When I land though the passengers always get scared. Looking back at the post flight report it says my landing speed is around 135-145Kias with a decent rate at 400-500ft/m. Im assuming I need to decrease my decent rate but I don't know how. Does anybody have any ideas on how to help me? Please please please.
Thanks in advance.

You probably forgot to flare. 400-500 fpm is the right VS on short final, but I bet your passengers are scared if you run the aircraft into the ground with that vertical speed.

At 20 feet above the ground pitch the nose up and the vertical speed will magically decrease to under 100 fpm. Your IAS is a bit low IMO, so you may want to increase that a bit to avoid stalling (just check the Vref on your aircraft and add 5 knots)

Hope this helps.
Cumpaniciu

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

lol thats why i stay with manual flying all the way 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

The only problem is that it is a downloaded aircraft so it doesn't have the aircraft info. I'm using the default 737-400 info as a guide. I do flare but I thought it was meant to be only 3 degrees positive pitch on flare? Does anybody know the Vref for the 737-700 and what degree the flare is?

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Three degrees sounds about right and the Vref (although it depends on weight and conditions) is around 135 for flaps 30. Perhaps the downloaded craft is not that good (it happens with freeware), try flaring a little more. Remember to control airspeed with pitch, altitude with power on approach and see what happens.

Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

OK. Cheers mate. I'll give it a go.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...