Oh My God...what is wrong with me???????

CaptainKW Guest

Hi lovely people of FSland....im sorry to be posting yet again but i have to tell u of my complete frustration of STILL not being able to use approach correctly??

Its so annoying i have had at least 10 attempts just flying out of Gatwick then doing a circle round and bringing my bird down. I give myself more than enough room to approach correctly?

I still cant use AP approach properly and im still coming down too early! (the coming down too early i can sort out myself easily and im getting alot better) HOWEVER the approach still feels shody and rushed. I have tried using the guides from u lovely people but unfortunately, this is no fault of urs but totally mine, i dont understand some things ur telling me.

Again unfortunately i dont have the time to sit down and read about it at the moment, and i know if i did i wudnt understand it half as much as if someone who currently flies tells me....like one of u

Things like, intercepting the localiser?? using NAV 1 with the ILS correctly, WHY DOES IT BEEP AT ME AND WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?????

Im still having troubles coming in down the middle of the runway, i know this will take time, but im still vearing off the to left everytime i take AP off??!?!?!?!?!

As soon as i take the controls im coming in nicely, then as i get about 500ft away, i start hdg left and end up having to swing it across the runway instead of coming nice and smoothly!! I can bring it down smoothly enough to the runway, u wudnt even notice i have touched the floor im soooo smooth, its just getting in the middle of the runway im having trouble with. It all starts wen ATC give me my last hdg, i find the ILS and runway hdg and get ready to stick it in the AP. from a far, its all lined up and im coming in nicely, then.....the nose goes up so i loose the visual on the runway and AP is on so i pressume its still on course!
WHy does the nose go up? i duno...anyway, then i push AP APP and all hell breaks loose, which must mean im using it wrong!

Please...i need help bad, im in a Baron now, and im making longer flights! i flew from London Gatwick to De Gaulles airport in Paris and everything went perfect except the most artistic bit......the landing! Approach was shody and all over the place, kept dropping out the sky and back up again, veared off towards the left and had to bank hard right to swing it back online, nose kept flicking up and i ended up coming up short of the runway and crashing.

I would mind but i had spend about an hour in the air loving every second think "this is the one thats gona be perfect" i get every perfect, takeoff to my final Hdg, the approach, i come up short and everything is a big waste of time.

please help...i know i have asked so many times but if someone cud just lay it down in the most simple terms possible. from the final ATC hdg to touchdown, take as long as u need and explain everything and what it does. I do apologise massively coz i seem like a big wally. but im usually really quick and picking things up and for the most part i have. i know practise makes perfect but i have had over about 15 attempts at a landing and everytime, bar 1, i have ended up with exactly the same problems i have described above!

thanx for ur time

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

Your never one to be brief are you my friend 😂

Ok. A few questions. Are you using a joystick or the keyboard?
The 'thing' that beeps is just telling you that you are within distance of the ILS.
When ATC tells you something like 'blah blah you are 12 miles from the airport, turn left heading blah and report runway insight' that is when I normally flick on the APP hold. This will align your plane with the runway and intercept the ILS all by itself. It sounds like your not turnig this on soon enough and the AP is madly trying the intercept but by then you are too low and slow to intercept the ILS properly.
As you get nearer the airport the plane will go up and down of it's own accord so it's at the right height of approach.
When you're close enough switch of AP and flare and touchdown manually.

CaptainKW Guest

hehe sorry OD, just cant be brief!!

Erm...im using a keyboard! so..for example (hehehe here i go again) ...
My last flight ATC gave me my last Hdg, like u said, the last hdg doesnt point u in the runway direction does it? coz mine doesnt, flying IFR? it gives me one that sort of means i still need to do one more turn......before that final turn i have to do to be on the runway hdg....is that wen i press app? will it do the final turn its self? or am i totally confusing u? sorry 😀

CaptainKW Guest

ok im a total spacker!! im actually using a joystick!! what a donut i really am....can u now see y i have trouble landing 😀 hehehe

Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

Erm...im using a keyboard! so..for example (hehehe here i go again) ...
My last flight ATC gave me my last Hdg, like u said, the last hdg doesnt point u in the runway direction does it? coz mine doesnt, flying IFR? it gives me one that sort of means i still need to do one more turn......before that final turn i have to do to be on the runway hdg....is that wen i press app? will it do the final turn its self? or am i totally confusing u? sorry

Yes when ATC give the last HDG and you still have to turn to be aligned that is when you are at what's called localiser level. You have to report the runway in sight and then click on the APP button. The aircraft will do the final turn itself. Be warned that the planw will not turn straight away. When you have reached GSA (glide slope alive) the plane will turn on it's own and when it needs to it will decend by itself.
Remember, after you have clicked the APP button, be patient. Just trust the plane and it will turn in time.
Just ask if you need anymore help.

CaptainKW Guest

SO...wen i press app, do i turn off hdg and alt AP's.. so the only one on will be App? is that right? i put ILS in NAV 1 and thats it? press APP and flare wen appropriate? Man u cud be my hero right now. i have been struggling for nearly a week and about 15 failed landing attempts. thanx from my heart to u kind sir.... i want AI aircraft from the real world, do u know how to do that? I went on PROJECTAI but didnt understand how to put them in my game? do u have an msn or something? where are u from? coz im working at the moment...well mean to be 😀 cud chat abit later if ur available, get me sorted proper so i dont have to keep pestering u lovely people...coz i actually feel bad for it 😞

Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

CaptainKW wrote:

SO...wen i press app, do i turn off hdg and alt AP's.. so the only one on will be App? is that right? i put ILS in NAV 1 and thats it? press APP and flare wen appropriate?

Nope. Just click APP and the AP will turn off the other switches when it needs to. For example, when the plane needs to do it's final turn and you have APP on, the AP will automatically turn off HDG hold. Same with ALT hold when it needs to decend.
Let us know how you get on.
Anytime you need help just ask the forum. Greekman, CrashGordon and Radarman are the most knowledgable. Alternatively just PM me if you need help and I will try and help you.
Sorry I don't know much about AI aircraft so I can't help you on that.
Good Luck

CaptainKW Guest

LEGEND OD, thanx

Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

Also, if you want downloaded aircraft (from the real world as you put it)
just take a look on avsim.com.
You have to register but it's free. There are a lot of good addons there.

CaptainKW Guest

the only problem i have is that im not a computer whiz and i dont understand how to put them so they go into my game??? any ideas Legend....u dont mind if i call u Legend to i?

CaptainKW Guest

So OD, do i have to enter the ILS in NAV 1, im flying a Baron 58, its all fun but bit confused on that

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

It aslo appears to me that you are getting either wind shears or gusts at the end of your approch runway. If you "Shift Z" it will give you a lot of information such as wind direction and speed. You can turn this on and off during your flight. I use this to help me with landings. Be aware that winds do shift a lot...!!! You aren't using an unusually large air craft and that is good. Some people have problems when they try to fly a heavy and well to be honest that is out of most peoples league. They are hugh in real life and they are hugh in the flight sim too.

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

CaptainKW, just another tip. Just so your flights dont end up in disaster, and you dont feel you've wasted your time, you could save your flight, say, the last 5-10 minutes, and then if your landing does'nt go to plan, you can load your flight again, and fly the last 5-10 minutes as many times as you like. 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...