Sharepoint

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

I need something to show my anger!

For those who design websites, or have even ever used Sharepoint (I don't know why you would (well I do but that ain't the point. . . . ) anyways. . . ) IT IS AWFUL! You can't actualy do anything. It makes me pull my hair out! ARGH!

It is evil!! Evil or Very Mad

Anyway. . . .end moan.

(p.s who actually has ever used it?)

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

what are you trying to use it for?

We use it at work for our document version control.

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

At our school, we have intranet, which is literally the base of the system. I am trying to design my house website. But the whole system is based on Sharepoint, which is awful, so it is really hard. They are going to try and upgrade to using Dreamweaver (I am fully for that!!)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Heh

Sharepoint is actually really easy to set up team page with but, it depends hugely on what you want to use them for.

You can setup team access pages with calendars and task lists and so on very easily, even discussion boards. All of it is a drag and drop interface.

Editting colours and whatnot or adding in custom stuff could be a different matter though - Sharepoint is a collaboration tool, not a web design tool.

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

Yeh, been told by the real IT guys! Apparently three years ago, when there was a different IT manager, he said he wanted to use Sharepoint because it was a Microsoft program, and has full support! ARGH! And also, I am editing the website, which has already been created, and someone changed the colour on one of the sides, and it is a mystery how it happened!

HELP!! 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

its hard to help really..

can you supply some screenshots or something of the bit you're having trouble with ?

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

Well, I want to change the colour of the side bar:

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Have you got admin permissions for that page?

I think you go into design view and the colours are properties of the control that has been dragged onto the page

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

For goodness sake, will people stop trying to use tools for the wrong purposes. Sharepoint is not a web design tool. It provides certain features for web sites, but is not designed for appearance and layout editing.

The web design application most closely integrated with SharePoint is FrontPage 2003.

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

For goodness sake, will people stop trying to use tools for the wrong purposes. Sharepoint is not a web design tool. It provides certain features for web sites, but is not designed for appearance and layout editing.

The web design application most closely integrated with SharePoint is FrontPage 2003.

I know it wasn't meant for this. The old Head of IT did it 3 years ago, because the website was going to be simple. If I could I would be using Dreamweaver. Anyway Insight thanks for the help.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

I don't know what they are trying to use it for but it does have built in design elements to construct team collaboration web pages amongst other things (a feature of Sharepoint, not a mis-use of one) - which is what I was guessing it was being used for. So in some respect - it does have design elements in the form of drag and drop functionality modules which have configurable (with reason) properties and can be positioned on the page where ever the user chooses each module to be placed.

It is not a web site design tool in it's own right though - it is a knowledge management system which can have elements added or removed within it's own environment for use in many different ways

Jamie4590 Guest

The best method for creating web pages is good old fashioned HTML in a good old fashioned text editor. Top hand coders prefer this to packages such as Dreamweaver because of its versatility and stability. All too often the page can look great in Dreamweaver but when viewed through Mozilla on a Unix machine images will be missing and formatting will be wrong. Writing in well coded HTML allows the content to be viewed correctly on more systems and platforms and is much easier to update. If your website has many pages or will do in the future incorporate CSS (cascading style sheets) in to the HTML to make the coding process ultra simple. HTML is also very accomodating for dynamic languages such as JAVA, PERL and Database SQL integration.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

All dreamweaver does Jamie is supply a user interface to create HTML.

The code behind any page created in dreamweaver is HTML as well, the user just doesn't have to write it themselves.

I do prefer writing it by hand anyway though using Textpad.

Jamie4590 Guest

I know that dreamweaver uses html but I'm sure it doesn't use html to its fullest extent. No substitute to a simple text editor and more satisfying too. Similar to building a house myself instead of paying through the nose for contractors who probably cut corners, take too many tea breaks at my expense and urinate against my wall.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

It uses the HTML to whatever extent it feels necessary to achieve whatever the user has requested of it.... whether or not the underlying code complies to correct HTML standards and uses correct code that works properly with all browsers and not just IE (Ignorant Exporer) is, of course, debatable 🙂

Very few people actually write proper HTML, it is tremendously lazy not to and just causes problems for the website's users anyway

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...