EGDP(Portland UK)...Have a look...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Flying from EGKK to EGDP (without checking first the airport of EGDP) i was surprised by seeing this ➡

Is this the smallest or there are more?At the beginning i thought it was my scenery fault(And i take as prove the Tower in the sea... 😳 😂 )But when i check the map i see that Runway's Length is 750f... 😕

Have a look ➡

😳

Last edited by Greekman72 on Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Try to land your Howard 500 there and see if you can make it alive 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Well dear Agus , the only think i manage with the Bonanza V35 was a Touch And Go...If i try it with the H-500 i think that i need floats just in case... 😂

Last edited by Greekman72 on Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

😂 Do the tower controllers not mind a quick paddle in the morning to get to their control tower??

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

😂 Do the tower controllers not mind a quick paddle in the morning to get to their control tower??

😉

🙂) ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

MS has a history of misplacing things. If you know where to look, you can find an airport with a VOR tower in the middle of a taxiway.

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

but how come the lights on the extension are in the sea???

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

to_coolguys wrote:

but how come the lights on the extension are in the sea???

Its like that at EGNS. There is only just enough room there for the runway so they have the lights over the sea.
They are on about extending the runway by building an extension over the sea so that jets can land there, at the minute its mainly just prop planes.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

In the default scenery, EGDP has lights and tower on land. Man, that's a short runway. CHALLENGE: Land the default C-172 there, No wind and don't let your gear touch before the runway. Of course, don't go off the far end of the runway. 🙂 I did it. 😎

Pro Member Trainee
deanos63 Trainee

i bet i could land the new airbus a380 there, i might need a tad of reverse thrust though!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

deanos63 wrote:

i bet i could land the new airbus a380 there, i might need a tad of reverse thrust though!

I'll take that bet. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

MS has a history of misplacing things. If you know where to look, you can find an airport with a VOR tower in the middle of a taxiway.

LATI (Tirana - Albania) 😂 😉

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

I also managed to try it It was night time .The runway was just looking like a dot in the black.But with just two months of aviation i think i made a good landing.Only I touched down on the mid of the extension...But I was indeed happy as i did make good progress with landings...I also have made a video of the landing since this landing is quite dear to me ...

Pro Member First Officer
PIC1stOfficer First Officer

Thanks for these interesting AP's. 😂

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

MS has a history of misplacing things.

Hate to break it to ya, but Portland is actually a Heliport.

If you search wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNAS_Portland ), you will learn that:

RNAS Portland was an air station of the Royal Navy, built in 1917 as HMS Serepta, within the confines of Portland Harbour. Seaplanes were originally operated from the base's slipways. In 1919, 241 Squadron was disbanded and aviation operations ceased.

In 1946, Hoverfly R-4Bs moved in and the base's playing fields were taken over as a landing ground and became the site of the modern heliport. 815 Squadron flew its 12 Whirlwinds in from RNAS Eglinton on 14 Apr 1959 and the station was formally commissioned as HMS Osprey on 24 Apr 1959.

The base was gradually improved over the years, with the addition of a (short) main runway and landing spots. It has been the home of the small ships' flight Wasp, Wessex and Lynx fleet and at one point, the slipway was used by hovercraft.

As the base wound down, Flag Officer Sea Training (FOST) moved to Plymouth (HMS Drake). The Royal Navy closed HMS Osprey on 31 Mar 1999.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

well the warthog has no problems taking off there Wink

the only plane i took off and landed there on was the an-14, but that's not much of a surprise is it 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

cheekytrolly wrote:

MS has a history of misplacing things.

Hate to break it to ya, but Portland is actually a Heliport.

If you search wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNAS_Portland ), you will learn that:

RNAS Portland was an air station of the Royal Navy, built in 1917 as HMS Serepta, within the confines of Portland Harbour. Seaplanes were originally operated from the base's slipways. In 1919, 241 Squadron was disbanded and aviation operations ceased.

In 1946, Hoverfly R-4Bs moved in and the base's playing fields were taken over as a landing ground and became the site of the modern heliport. 815 Squadron flew its 12 Whirlwinds in from RNAS Eglinton on 14 Apr 1959 and the station was formally commissioned as HMS Osprey on 24 Apr 1959.

The base was gradually improved over the years, with the addition of a (short) main runway and landing spots. It has been the home of the small ships' flight Wasp, Wessex and Lynx fleet and at one point, the slipway was used by hovercraft.

As the base wound down, Flag Officer Sea Training (FOST) moved to Plymouth (HMS Drake). The Royal Navy closed HMS Osprey on 31 Mar 1999.

I was thinking of it dear Cheeky and thanks for let us know that its truth.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...