sounds silly

Pro Member First Officer
art lippel (effieveda) First Officer

Hi all,
Every once in a while, just for kicks, I like to watch an ai aircraft take off from somewhere and land somewhere else. I've got several flights set up to/from KPDX (Portland, OR) - KBUR (Burbank, CA). So what happens is I'll watch one of them depart, say Portland, watch it taxi and take off. It makes it to the proper altitude and manuevers accordingly on its way to Burbank. After about five minutes or so it will suddenly disappear and another plane sitting on the ground will be staring at me. It'll be another ai plane, usually at a small airport, in the Portland area. Sounds silly to do this, I know, but sometimes it's sort of like eye candy and a refreshing break from flying myself. So my question is, does anyone know why this switch occures and is there anyway around it? What controls how long a particular ai plane is displayed? Surely there must be some parameter in fsx that controls this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance...Art 🙄

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

I know this isn't an answer to your question, but during some long flights, I'll watch AI aircarft. I've noticed that some, at Cruise altitude, like FL210, will turn, but their flaps are at full extend. Must be the parameters of the system is all I can fugure out.

Pro Member First Officer

jellrod,
If you could tell me how long you were able to observe this condition that might help. I'm trying to determine if it's some setting in my sim that's causing the problem.
Regards...Art

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

I've noticed that as well

IT's really annoying, I wish it would stick with the flight in question

Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

It never lasts more than about three or four minutes. Then the flight I am watching disappears and it takes me back to my airplane.

Pro Member First Officer

Bummer! Surely there's an fsx Guru out there that could point the way. It certainly seems like there's a timer buried in the software that could be tweeked. Anyone from Microsoft listening? At least it's nice to know I'm not the only voyeur out there. Embarassed
Regards...Art

Pro Member First Officer

O.K. So some of you are also interested in watching ai aircraft fly from point A to point B, but still no answer to my original question. Could someone please direct me to some knowlegable people who may give me some guidance regarding how ai works. It would be nice to have some specifics on how fsx determines all the variables having to do with fsx ai. I'm almost sure that Microsoft doesn't have an "in depth" manual, but it seems to me that there must be some progammers out there who know what they're doing who could shed some light on this matter. If you're out there please pm or email me. I sure would appreciate it.
Regards...Art

flappmouth Guest

I know this isn't an answer to your question, but during some long flights, I'll watch AI aircarft. I've noticed that some, at Cruise altitude, like FL210, will turn, but their flaps are at full extend. Must be the parameters of the system is all I can fugure out.

I've noticed some AI with flaps drooped!
I am told that its because of the flight plans low cruise speed for that flight for that particular aircraft?! 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

effieveda wrote:

O.K. So some of you are also interested in watching ai aircraft fly from point A to point B, but still no answer to my original question. Could someone please direct me to some knowlegable people who may give me some guidance regarding how ai works. It would be nice to have some specifics on how fsx determines all the variables having to do with fsx ai. I'm almost sure that Microsoft doesn't have an "in depth" manual, but it seems to me that there must be some progammers out there who know what they're doing who could shed some light on this matter. If you're out there please pm or email me. I sure would appreciate it.
Regards...Art

See if either of these answer your question.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks Radarman,
I checked out the sites that you suggested. Some were broken links, some were being updated (2005?), but most had to do with setting up ai traffic schedules. I can do that now, thanks to one of Fly Away's kind members who showed me the way. Oh well, nice try. I noticed that it's not timing (maybe that's part of it), but if I park my plane at an ai departure airport and one of the ai planes is there as well, I can sit and watch it for a long, long time. So maybe proximity has something to do with it. Meantime I shall press on and see what other frustrations I can cause myself.
Regards...Art

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...