Flight Planner has gone crazy

Pappy55 Guest

I dont know why the flight planner has gone crazy but when I plan a flight from London Heathrow (EGLL) - Kennedy Int NYC (KJFK) useing IFR and High Altitude it gives me really stupid flight plans.

It gives me a route up across greenand over the north pole to alaska and back across the US.

Anyone know why it would give me such a stupid route?

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Welshflyer Guest

Apparently this is a common fault with FS9 the same thing happens with mine. I find the only way to cross the pond to JFK etc is to fly direct gps.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Its a glitch in the flight planning system. Just delete the waypoints which make the flight unrealistic. Keep in mind that real life flights across the Atlantic do fly over Greenland partially - its quicker.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

It's not a glitch, it's a misunderstanding of what you what and what the planner can accomplish. You are requesting high altitude routing via airways. High altitude airways require VOR stations on the ground to make up those airways. For an over the ocean flight, high altitude airways don't exist and are not flown. For an airliner to fly over the ocean, it must have GPS or FMC in order to navigate between waypoints over the ocean. The default flight planner can navigate these routes using the GPS but if you ask it to find airways, it will send you wherever it has to to use airways, it won't automatically find a over water route using waypoints. If you use a route finder, you can determine the waypoints for inclusion in the flight planner. If you don't want to go to all of that trouble, use GPS direct. It won't be exactly what the real aircraft fly but it will be close enough. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Correct route should take you just south of greenland.

EGLL-CPT3G.CPT-UG1-SHA-BURAK-5415N-5520N-5630N-5540N-5350N-YAY-YQY-J575-YQI-STOOL-PLYMM.PLYMM4-KJFK

Thats the real route that many airlines from from EGLL to KJFK.

Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

Surely when you go to ceate the flight plan you click on the direct function rather than High Alt or Low Alt.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Odyssey wrote:

Surely when you go to ceate the flight plan you click on the direct function rather than High Alt or Low Alt.

The correct thing to do is to select high altitude routes. The problem is that FS does not properly select the waypoints. and use routes that go much too far west.

Direct GPS is not used by real world airliners across tha Atlantic...or elsewhere.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...