Effects

Pro Member Trainee
Sindre Henriksen (gothgod) Trainee

Hi guys.

I have downloaded a freeware Air Bridge Cargo B747-200 I think it was (maybe 300)... Either way...
On the picture of the plane taking off you could see some really cool effects and this is the heat comming out of the engines!
When I was installing this aircraft there was a catalog named "747 effects" if I'm not mistaking..
And the readme.txt said that the files in that catalog was going into the
"Fs9\Effects" folder. and I have put them there but the heat effect wont work!

Anyone that knows why this wont work?
Any help is greatfull 🙂

Answers 21 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You did it correctly, it should show. As long as you put the contents of the effects folder into the main folder, not the folder to folder.

Try one of these and see if that helps.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2732/fs2004-engine-exhaust-system-plus/

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

That's a good file that Radarman is suggesting. Get the latest one which is ees_v32.zip - it's been updated.
Even if you decide not to use the effects and gauges contained in that file, studying the PDF will show you that putting the effect into the effects folder is not enough. Most likely aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg will have to be edited... unless the author has already done that. But we haven't got a clue because:

I have downloaded a freeware Air Bridge Cargo B747-200 I think it was (maybe 300)... Either way...

...is just not good enough.

Come on gothgod, you've been here long enough to know by now that these types of problems are sorted out much quicker if you give us the appropriate information. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

gothgod wrote:

On the picture of the plane taking off you could see some really cool effects and this is the heat comming out of the engines!

I think he's talking about heat from the engines and wing vapor. I think I know what your talking about and I think you'll find the picture has been edited in Photoshop.

But as Tailhook said

Tailhook wrote:

Come on gothgod, you've been here long enough to know by now that these types of problems are sorted out much quicker if you give us the appropriate information.

Then we good give you the correct answer.

Pro Member Trainee

hehe true said Wink

I have been here a while and I am very thnkfull for the help I have gotten 🙂

It's so typical...
IF the photo is edited in photoshop though.
Is this effect when installed correctly possible to get on -every- aircraft in the game as long as it has jet engines, and not boring propeller? 😛

I will buy FSX in the end of this month! Seen it in the stores here in norway now 😀
Great graphics 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

gothgod wrote:

IF the photo is edited in photoshop though.
Is this effect when installed correctly possible to get on -every- aircraft in the game as long as it has jet engines, and not boring propeller?

How could anyone possibly know? If you care to read Liono's post just above your own, you'll see that we're still struggling to determine which effect you are actually talking about. After all this, you expect us to look at the photo which you mentioned in your first post of this thread --- ...How? Umm...

Did you check out the effects Radarman linked you to? What's your verdict?

As you can see, whenever a question has to be answered with several questions in order to determine the meaning of the original question, it becomes increasingly difficult to retrace ones steps in order to find the original question. 😁

Needless to say, under such circumstances it borders on folly to expect a solution to the problem or a satisfactory reply to a query. 🙂)

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

I think the file and aircraft that gothgod refers to, is this one (os742fv3abc.zip ) found on avsim. If so, then he must be refering to this pic............ (click for larger image).

I've downloaded it, and looked at the Aircraft.cfg file, and it looks to not contain any sort of heat shimmer effect. After installing it, it is a nice freeware 747 from Posky, although I can assure, it does'nt contain heat shimmer.

gothgod, the heat shimmer effects that RM has linked you to, they do actually work, not as effective as the above pic, but noticeable.
I downloaded the heat shimmer effect awhile back, took one look at the install manual, and thought I'd give it a miss. But as Tailhook told me in a previous post, if you aint gonna read the install manual untill your happy installing/editing aircraft/panel cfg files, then you wont get a result.

The author of the heat shimmer effect, can babble on about this that and the other, and make's the add-on look and sound more difficult than it actually is 🙄 . Back up your files and give it a go. 😉

Pro Member Trainee

I tryed yesterday but I didnt figure out much!
There were something in the aircraft.cfg that wassnt there!

It is possible to use this effect on every plane with jet engines in the game?
Do you/anyone know if it is hard to make this effect by your self?
Like decide how good quality you want?

I will certainly try alittle more and see if I can get this effect installed.
I downloaded the one "tailhook" refered to along with all the updates. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I don't know why I bother replying to this. You say:

I downloaded the one "tailhook" refered to along with all the updates.

The one I suggested for you to download is ees_v32.zip which hasn't been updated because it IS the update.

Is this effect when installed correctly possible to get on -every- aircraft in the game as long as it has jet engines, and not boring propeller?

...and:

It is possible to use this effect on every plane with jet engines in the game?

You keep asking the same question without having so much as looked at ees_v32.zip. Had you looked at the file you would have found the answer to your question several days ago. There is a list of a/c in the PDF starting on page 9 with the A-300.

I tryed yesterday but I didnt figure out much!
There were something in the aircraft.cfg that wassnt there!

What are you talking about??

So far no less than four members have tried to help you but you don't make the slightest effort at your end. You don't even bother to re-read the whole thread before you post. This is NOT the way to get a result.

Pro Member Trainee

then why may I ask what reasson is there to put out "updates" for a file which issent updated at all?
it's just stupid.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

gothgod wrote:

then why may I ask what reasson is there to put out "updates" for a file which issent updated at all?

That doesn't make sense. If updates have been 'put out' then by nature of the words you are using, it has been updated, so it can't not be updated if there is an update. Or am I reading this wrong?

As far as I can see, its been over-complicated.

RadarMan suggested this link to you:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2732/fs2004-engine-exhaust-system-plus/

...which shows Martyn Becker's Engine Exhaust System downloads - 4 of them.

Tailhook reminded you to make sure you are downloading the latest version - ees_v32.zip, i.e. the third link down in RadarMan's above link. Thus, that is the only file that need be downloaded - its the update and doesn't require any update of the update.

The rest of your questions can be answered by looking in the installation documentation that comes with the file from Avsim. Once you have read it, you'll be far more successful in getting a response for a question that you are unsure of.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

gothgod wrote:

it's just stupid.

For a change I think I am able to guess the meaning of your question.

Basically there are two types of updates. Those that require a previous release to be installed and those which require no previous release because the base file and the update are in the form of one single file.
That's pretty simple, really. What complicates matters more often than not is the misleading naming of files and the misleading file descriptions. This requires us to go back and forth between pages, compare similar file names, file descriptions etc.
To complicate matters even further, the exact same file might have three different file names at three different file libraries. So now you can appreciate why we ask for the file name and the file library. If all you give us is the file name, we have to search several file libraries in the hope we might just come across it by chance. This is very awkward and can and should be avoided.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion 😉

Pro Member Trainee

Yes I understand now. hehe
I'm usually blond😛

I downloaded the heat shimmer effects from avsim.com (pretty good site).
But it is kinda wierd about the effects because in the readme file I read that I had to change something in the "aircraft.cfg" but the section I had to change was not to be found in the "aircraft.cfg" file!!
I downloaded a B-52 from avsim also + smoke effects and they work just fine.
I put the effect file for the smoke in the main fs9/effects folder and when I turned on the lights for the plane the was smoke comming from behind the engines.

I'll post a new msg later with what I needed to change in the "aircraft.cfg" file, from the "readme.txt" in the heat shimmer file I was suggested to download, and what it says in my "aircraft.cfg" file.

So you can see my problem!

Pro Member Trainee

Ok, now I installed the latest version of the heat shimmer effect on an ffx737-400. I did EXACTLY how it said I should do in the PDF file where it said how to install..

This is how my aircraft.cfg looks like after I have put in the necessary txt taken from the pdf file:

[LIGHTS]
light.0 =3, -8.54, -49.74, 1.90, fx_navred ,
light.1 =3, -8.54, 49.74, 1.90, fx_navgre ,
light.2 =3, -8.94, -49.74, 1.90, fx_navred ,
light.3 =3, -8.94, 49.74, 1.90, fx_navgre ,

light.4 =3, -58.32, 0.00, 6.30, fx_navwhih ,

light.5 =2, -10.14, -49.84, 1.90, fx_strobe ,
light.6 =2, -10.14, 49.84, 1.90, fx_strobe ,

light.7 =1, 2.20, 0.00, 10.30, fx_beaconh ,

light.8 =3, -13.60, -49.22, 1.90, fx_navwhi ,
light.9 =3, -13.60, 49.22, 1.90, fx_navwhi ,

light.x=7,6.0,-16.9,-3,8,fx_fanengine_heavy_idle
light.x=8,6.0,-16.9,-3,8,fx_fanengine_heavy_idle
light.x=6,6.0,-16.9,-3,8,fx_fanengine_heavy
light.x=9,6.0, 16.9,-3,8,fx_fanengine_heavy
light.x=5,-58.10, 0.00, 4.70,fx_APU

The bold txt is what I wrote in the aircraft cfg file that should be what needed to be inserted.[/code]

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

gothgod wrote:

I did EXACTLY how it said I should do in the PDF file where it said how to install..

No, you did NOT!

Please make sure that the numbering of the light section lines is sequential (e.g. light.0,
light.1 etc.), as if it is not then the effects will not show.

Details matter!!

The lines you've added should look like this:

light.10=7,6.0,-16.9,-3,8,fx_fanengine_heavy_idle
light.11=8,6.0,-16.9,-3,8,fx_fanengine_heavy_idle
light.12=6,6.0,-16.9,-3,8,fx_fanengine_heavy
light.13=9,6.0, 16.9,-3,8,fx_fanengine_heavy
light.14=5,-58.10, 0.00, 4.70,fx_APU

If you don't know the meaning of 'sequential': In regular succession without gaps.

Pro Member Trainee

well then I would say that it is kinda wierd that the bold text I wrote in IS from the PDF file.
it said that for the ffx 300-500 I had to write in the text below.
and so I did.

and now you are telling me I didnt or that it doesnt say that?

Pro Member Chief Captain

You really need to read something before you ask questions.

Yes, the manual does give you the list to add to the .cfg file, but, it also tells you to add the sequential numbers after it says light. The reason 'x' was put in, instead of the sequential number, is because .cfg files differ and the number will be different from computer to computer.

It clearly tells you to add your own number according to the sequence, i.e. the next number after 9, as Tailhook has shown.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

gothgod wrote:

and now you are telling me I didnt or that it doesnt say that?

Until you start making an effort to read before you critizise I won't be telling you anything in the near future.

Pro Member Trainee

Jamie4590 Guest

After reading this I need to lie down. 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

After reading this I need to lie down. 😕

😂

gothod,

The readme documentation really does have everything you need in it. Its a case of following it carefully and to the letter, without missing points out. Good luck!

Pro Member Trainee

thanx 🙂

I'll keep trying and read more slowly than quick and not miss important things. hehe

I'll inform when I finally get it to work Wink

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...