Taxiing in Vickers Vimy (FS2004)

mps77 Guest

I can't seem to work out how to taxi in the Vickers Vimy - the rudder just doesn't seem to do very much. I can see the rudder move on the back of the plane, but the aircraft only turns at the slightest angle. This is not enough to taxi along the taxiways for the historic flights in FS2004 involving the vimy.

Also the Ford Trimotor is also initially unresponsive to the rudder, but then starts spinning uncontrollably. How can I solve this? I'd like to do all the flights in FS2004 before buying FSX.

I notice also that the Vickers Vimy doesn't have trim. Do they seriously expect people to fly from England to Australia for 135 hours holding the joystick? Has anyone actually done this. Surely there must be some cheat. At least with the Piper Cub (Flight of the Viz Fin Historic Flight) I could take off, set the heading and then do stuff (make dinner, tidy my room, etc), and just check every 5-10 minutes that I was still on course. I' not going to sit at my computer with my hand on the joystick for hours on end - which is a shame as I'd like the challenge - maybe I'll do the England to Australia route in another place (like the DC-3) instead.

Thanks, Matt D.

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

rudder doesn't turn an aircraft on the ground, the nose wheel or (rarely) tail wheel does. you'll probably find the vimy turns using differential brakes and throttle. so brake right wheels, throttle left engine to pivot around.

and yes, the joystick will do but you can sort of 'trim' by using the arrow keys, just a few taps to align the ailerons and velerons and you should be ok for a while depending on winds.

height can also be controlled via the throttle. as you lose speed the nose will drop causing you do gain speed and lift..so the nose will rise. if you get the correct setting these undulations will be quite subtle but effective even without trim.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

First let me congratulate you for even flying the Vimy, I thought I was the only person that flies it. It is a very changeling aircraft built during the infancy of aviation. It doesn't have a nose wheel or tail wheel and it doesn't have brakes. The way to taxi is with differential power and Rudder. A throttle quadrant make this easier. The Vimy doesn't have a trim system, other aircraft of that era like the Jenny didn't have a trim system either. During the long record setting flights, there were two pilots to share the workload of flying but it was still very hard to fly such an aircraft for long periods. That's what they did, if you want real, it doesn't get any more real than that. There are no cheats in Flight Simulator, if you don't like long flights then set up short flights. If you let the aircraft fly while your "eating dinner", than why fly? That's like letting a DVD movie play while you go to the store. 🙂

The Ford Tri-motor is great, you need differential power and differential brakes to control her with authority. I recommend the CH Throttle Quadrant and the CH Rudder pedals.

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/index.html

Guest Ed Guest

CRJCapt,

You're not alone, I've done a number of flights in the Vimy as well.

And I've always like the Tri-Motor as well, mostly because I got to ride in one when I was a kid. But it is kind of a pain to taxi, and flying that old bus wasn't much better. 😉

Ed

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (SpiderWings) First Officer

I've also flown the Vimy a few times and had some problems taxiing. But flying it wasn't too bad. It just doesn't climb very quickly as I found out nervously crossing a mountain pass in Lebanon.

Also like the Tri-motor in the air. But its a bit tough taxiing also. I just spent a few flights with the Piper Cub and got really confident with its challenging taxiing, takeoffs and landings. I figured anything would be easy to taxi from now on. But I think that when you get the fine touch down for one a/c then you kinda have to relearn the feel of the other.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...