Given up with FS9

I have finally, given FS9 the boot. After weeks of problems and re installs, i have had it up to the sky with it. I flew for BA virtual and was with the assigned flight section. I am so far behind all my schedules because of my problems i have given up.

I would start the flight, everything fine before it says 'send position update' I will then leave full screen and send position update then click on full screen again. Every time i tried the screen would freeze and the mouse pointer would flicker between a pointer and the timer symbol before telling me FS9 had to close because it encountered a problem. I have lost about 10 hours because of this and this time around i have given up.

I flew the PMDG 737-500 with BAvirtual but have had enough and uninstalled the lot and left BAvirtual. I have tried everything. I have tried uninstalling the flight simulator reinstalling it etc. Nothing! I have matched the screen resolution on both the desktop and the flight simulator, that didnt work either.

I am selling the flight simulaotr and PMDG 737NG if anyone is interested. A year of flying was good but obviously it doesnt want me to use it. Flying the last year has been a pleasure but its over for me now.

Thanks for listening 😉

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

well I see where you are coming from. I also have had millions of problems with fs9 (havent we all,) but dont give up yet. perhaps get an older, smaller version of fs, say 2002 and see if this works?

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

Yeah. I would still keep trying to get it work...And as someone suggested use a lower version.....

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

never had a problem i didn't create Wink

odd world.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

I would start the flight, everything fine before it says 'send position update' I will then leave full screen and send position update then click on full screen again. Every time i tried the screen would freeze and the mouse pointer would flicker between a pointer and the timer symbol before telling me FS9 had to close because it encountered a problem. I have lost about 10 hours because of this and this time around i have given up.

I'm having the exact same thing, when I try to go to full screen while in a flight, it will do what you described. Not always done this; started a few weeks back. Havent been able to retrace what's causing it; most likely something hooking into FS, maybe a module I installed or other 3rd party application.
It'll (well, 9 out of 10 times) be fine if I leave FS windowed, or when I start a flight already in full screen, but going to full screen messes things up.

If I find a fix, Ill post it.

Guest Ed Guest

Over the couple of years I've been hanging around here, I've noticed one thing repeatedly.

Very often when someone says "I'm having problems with FS09," what they really mean is "I'm having problems with all my add-ons. I've got FS Passengers running, and a bunch of airplanes that I downloaded, and I'm flying for a VA, I've modified the .cfg files so that I can fly my Piper Cub to Jupiter, and FS09 can't deal with it."

I mean, what do you expect? You think the guys and gals at Microsoft anticipated every bit of code someone might try to tack on to FS09, and wrote the program to deal with it? You think there's an international standard for add-ons to this sim, so that every program is going to run flawlessly? Probably not.

Just an observation. 😉

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Ed makes a very valid observation here.

I'd like to add two points.

GFX drivers. Yes, 'but it worked before' I can hear you say. Let's not forget though that drivers can become corrupted. How exactly that happens and what causes it I don't know. What I do know is that upgrading/updating drivers will eliminate the corrupted ones.

FSUIPC. This really pertains to Ed's deliberations. Due to the installation of add-ons we might end up with more than one version of FSUIPC inside our modules folder. Using installers (.exe) can have nasty side effects.
In any case it is advisable to peruse Peter Dowson's Support Forum at schiratti.com .

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (SpiderWings) First Officer

I only get an occassional problem with FS-9 but I haven't installed any add-ons. I have downloaded and used quite a few additional aircraft though and for some of those I've had a problem and so I just do use them again.

But there is so much fun to be had with FS-9 the way it is on my computer that I'm really happy with it. I have to admit though that I'm often intriqued by the add-on's I read about here in the forums. I'm just a little gun-shy though becuase my 2004 computer already has a hard time with some things.... mostly the internet and thats probably mostly due to dialup speeds.

I have done several multi-player sessions that went well though... my end wasn't usually the problem when we had them.

When I've had problems with FS9 I've been able to fix them by first reducing the volume of other traffic and then reducing the scenery complexity in some of the busier locations.

Bottom line is Don't Give Up! - there's a lot of fun to be had with FS9. I realize I'm not pushing the envelope with the add-ons or anything. But from what I've read here, there are a lot of experience folk that can help you out.

Welshflyer Guest

Don't give up my friend, i too have had a lot of problems with FS9.Ed and Tailhook have both made excellent, observations a lot of the time it is the addons that we use that cause the problems.I've said it before and i'll say it again anything that involves FSUIPC is a waste of time and caused me no end of problems.Now anything i see or download that needs this programme i get rid of!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

I've said it before and i'll say it again anything that involves FSUIPC is a waste of time and caused me no end of problems.Now anything i see or download that needs this programme i get rid of!

With respect Welshflyer, I do think your assessment is a bit harsh and doesn't do FSUIPC or its creator Peter Dowson justice.

I am aware that some freeware developers still include "FSUIPC NOT REQUIRED" ... or something similar in their Readme files.
This can easily lead the unweary or the inexperienced to conclude that FSUIPC is a bad thing or too complicated and thus to be avoided.

What a pity. If I get rid of all add-ons that require FSUIPC my hangar will be half empty.
Sadly, even now most enthusiasts don't know that their payware add-ons actually add an FSUIPC module during installation. This can lead to big problems.
Scenario: You install a payware add-on which was published in 2006. The installer (.exe) will put the most recent version of FSUIPC available just prior to publishing date into your Modules folder.
Sometime after that, you install an older payware add-on, published in 2004. Most likely the more recent version of FSUIPC will be overwritten with an older version because the installer isn't intelligent enough to know the difference. So if now the 2006 add-on starts causing us problems we shouldn't be surprised.

Whether payware or freeware is concerned, the principle is the same. We have to ensure that one of the more recent versions of FSUIPC is in our modules folder. It's really not a big deal -- only takes a few seconds but is certainly worth this little effort.

Ironically, installing freeware often leads to less complications than installing payware.
Why so? Because any freeware developer with at least a minimum of common sense will point out that FSUIPC is required, should that be the case. And since we all are in the habit of studying the Readme when we install add-ons 😳 (I hope), we'll attend to it.
Now where during the installation procedure of payware have any of us ever read that we should make sure to have an up-to-date version of FSUIPC?

I can only hope that the above helps to demystify FSUIPC a little bit and encourage others not to shy away from add-ons which require this excellent creation. 😀

Welshflyer Guest

Perhaps i was a bit harsh and i apologise to Mr Dowson for any offence i may have caused. FSUIPC is probably a very good programme when installed and running correctly and Tailhooks' excellent observations(again) could have been my problem. But, personally, i prefer to run FS9 without it.

Pro Member First Officer
Matt (airbourne) First Officer

:<

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...