Related to FSX for increase FPS?

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I saw this in another forum elsewhere and was wondering if it would be viable in FS2004. The code edit can be seen below. I was wondering if doing the same to FS2004 code would have the same effect in improving FPS? I look forward to any replies

FSX.cfg Tweaks :

Autogen tweak that might help
Many of you have been frustrated that you can't control the density of autogen trees verses buildings because we only have one slider to cover both of them. Some have also been frustrated that our lowest autogen setting is more dense than FS2004 at max density.

If you add these two lines to the [TERRAIN] section of your FSX.CFG, you can define the max number of objects in a terrain cell for trees and buildings independently. The slider will scale down from the numbers you set as the slider is moved to the left. The max tree value in FSX as released is coded to default to 4500 and the building default is 3000 (as shown below) and the absolute max FSX will recognize at all is 6000. Of course if you raise the values beyond the defaults, you will obviously be increasing density and lowering fps (so don't complain if you do this...). The point in sharing this information is that with these settings you can specify what the values are yourself. I had to edit this post because of a bug. Be sure not to set either number to 0 as that will cause problems, but setting it to a very lower number will give you nearly 0 objects.

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000

For faster texture loading you might be able to change the TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT to a higher value. For example:

[DISPLAY]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400

You might add :

[Main]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

This variable determines the amount of CPU time given to loading scenery data as a fraction of the time spent rendering. For example, the default value of 0.33 means that for every 3 milliseconds spent rendering, FS will give 1 millisecond to the scenery loader. If necessary, you can use a larger value to devote more time to loading. Or, if you don't have a problem with the blurries and you want slightly higher frame rates, then you can use a smaller value.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Back up the original folder and try it, that way you can go back.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

Thanks for the reply radar. I will give it a bash. I have not seen anyone try this before so it might be good if it squeezes a few more fps out of FS2004 as well.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...