To help FPS in Vista or XP..

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

This may work for those out there that have FSX and want to increase fps It works for me in DX10 and I am now running at MAX on all settings except the traffic setup. Ultimately you want to have as much free resource as possible on your PC as possible.

If you click on Start and select Run, type in MSCONFIG and press OK. In this menu, you want to select Startup. I have deselected all start up programs and then restart the PC. I have found by doing this, you will not have any programs running outside of FSX. This may work for those out there or it may not work for those. It does does help to have a good video card.

I have a core 2 processor, 2 gig of ram, and a 8800 gts 640 card. I found that in DX9, I have to back down the settings in FSX but in DX10, it works very well on my rig.

Just an idea.

Jetman

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
rowcoach First Officer

thanks for the help on this! However, this is going to sound like a dumb question, but how do you find 'run' on Vista? Having gotten used to XP, I now have to learn everything all over again with Vista.

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

It will work for either XP or Vista. Just follow the steps and see what happens. Again, this setup may not work with other systems out there. It works for me though. I have all settings maxed and all boxes checked except the traffic. I flew around Hawaii and it REALLY looks nice. My fps was set at 20 at first but I found that when I moved up to 50 pfs, my rig could handle it. It's really important that a good video card is used. I found that DX10 is pretty sweet even though many of my addons don't work.

Jetman

Pro Member First Officer
Tom (cthiggin) First Officer

rowcoach,
Point mouse to "start" - your menu box will open up - at the "bottom", just type in msconfig, Vista will then show you at the top of menu panel - msconfig, click it and you're there. Nice "search" feature of Vista..saves a lot of hunting for the files you need.
cthiggin

Pro Member First Officer
abmukh80 First Officer

Well thats good for you to have a 50 fps. Well even I'll try that out to reduce load of FSX on my computer.

What I dont understand is why are people so crazy and obsessive about this 40-50-60-70 fps thing!!!!????!!! any thing more than 25-30 fps is useless to our naked eye. Thats what we're used to see in any moving video, film or tv. ANything above that I feel is completely unnecessary. I

I've the FPS locked at 25. It hovers around that 24-27 mark and I'm quite satisfied with it.

Cheers and Happy flying

Pro Member First Officer
Tom (cthiggin) First Officer

I "think" the fps thing - more is better (and I was very guilty of that when I built my quad) is a misnomer - YES, it's good to know I can get 70 - 115 fps with sliders at 75% or constant 33 with sliders maxed - but I "know" my system will handle it. You are absolutely correct - 29.97fps is video quality that we see on tv all the time and it's fine. IMO, if a simmer can maintain a constant 25 - 30 fps, no stutters or jerkies, with medium or up sliders, we/they can't really ask for more and should be highly pleased with the experience of performance and eye-candy.
cthiggin

Pro Member First Officer
Lee198 First Officer

True...
I've got a quad core liquid cooled three hard drive thingy (wasted on me, as I'm a complete dummy when it comes to computers!) and with the frame rate on unlimited it occasionally goes into 3 figures, but you really can't tell the difference between that and 30 FPS.

I think anything above 20 looks good.

Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

60 is the max the human eye can see.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...