512mb or 256mb?

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

Following on from a previous thread, is having 512 on a graphics card all beit lower end, always better than a 256mb card at mid range???

Thanks guys, important decisions here!!

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Im quite interested to see the results of this thread.

I currently have 256 onboard graphics which is ok at the minute but I want to up the settings of scenery etc.

Flyer4000 Guest

Many graphics companies put high amounts of GDDR memory on their lower end GFX cards, so the purchaser thinks the product is better than it is. In reality the low end GFX cards usually cannot use the high amount of memory efficiently. High end Cards like the x1950XTX for example use 512MB of memory, but are far more Efficient cards and make use of the 512MB of memory better.
For instance a 256MB 7600GT will embarass a ATI x1600PRO 512MB performance wise. Best search the internet for some benchmarks.

Need anymore help just ask innit. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain
Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

well, seeing as the price is so cheap, i have ordered one anyway, as its not too much of a hit to the old pocket, so i will post results soon.

I know, buy cheap pay dear, but lets see what happens!!

Micah

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

GeForce 7950 GX2, nuff said. Wink

Pro Member Trainee
omgttfs Trainee

more memory won't make a slow card faster.

Pro Member Trainee
boxer10 Trainee

Depends on what card it is.......

And don't be fooled, you get what you pay for dude.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...