GeForce 7950 GT OC 512MB GDDR3

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

What does anyone think of this?

I recently bought a cheap 512mb card as an experiment and you guys were right what a pile of Censored

However, i have seen the above card for just over 200 quid. Is it worth its price and will it be a great improvement over my nvidia 6800gt 256mb?

Cheers in advance

Micah

Answers 23 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

That is a stonking card and is an excellent buy.

I have been toying with the idea of buying something similar but I think I have persuaded myself to wait until DX10 cards come out.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

what sort of increase in fps do think i will achieve? And also, will it look a lot prettier to the eyes??

Pro Member First Officer

What are your current specs and card and I will give an educated guess.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

current specs are:

P4 3.6gig.
2.5gig of Ram.
Nvidia 6800GT 256mb.

Cheers

Micah

Micah wrote:

What does anyone think of this?

I recently bought a cheap 512mb card as an experiment and you guys were right what a pile of Censored

However, i have seen the above card for just over 200 quid. Is it worth its price and will it be a great improvement over my nvidia 6800gt 256mb?

Cheers in advance

Micah

😎 I have it already(the better one Mate!) 1 gig DDR-3 The GTS version has 512 meg per board! you are looking at the lower memory version! straight board is the 7900 which is faster by itself or SLI

Because the 7950 is doubled up it runs hotter so they had to tone it down a litte

I had a pair of 6800 GS so this one is great! along with the new Phys-1 board it rocks!

in F.E.A.R I,m running a 1440x 900 LCD widescreen!

With EVERYTHING turned up!

0% less than 25 FPS
0% Less than 40 FPS
100% more than 40 FPS
80% more than 340 Fps

Beat that!(grin) But then I paid $554 for it! ASUS - NE 7950 GX2

and i,m running X Deluxe version..nice!

ABIT AN8 x32 with Dual 64 bit 4400+ AMD 1 meg cache

2 gig Dual channel memory,Audigy plat/ex sound card.

Not bad at all! X is great, the chopper sim is smooth...remember the first chopper back in 2002 I think it was!

Regards you lot from a KIWI in Yank land of California, San Fransisco.

Cheers Dennis McMillan - cocokiwi@comcast.net

Pro Member First Officer

In your circumstances I suspect the only bottleneck would be the 6800GT card although it is a great first person shooter card for games such as DOOM, Far Cry, Call Of Duty etc. I have a pair of 7300GT OC DDR3 cards which are beaten in most first person shooters by a single Radeon X800GTO. However, my 7300GT's whoop the single X800GTO in FS9 and FSX.

FSX likes a good amount of graphics memory so I suspect this new card will show some nice improvements. One thing I would like to point out though. Set your FPS to a limit of 20FPS. FSX really does not need to go any faster than this and you will not see any benefit. 20 will keep it smooth and let you pump up the rest of the sliders.

The above guest has a very nice card and if you can stretch to the 1gig version then happy days.

I am still worried however that you are going to spend all this money when DX10 cards are not that far away. If you are not planning on getting Vista for a while then this card would suit your purpose 👍

Flyer4000 Guest

Nvidias 7950GT is certainly faster than the 6800GT

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

So, in summary, is it definitely worth the upgrade? (lets be honest, vista still isnt out for a while and im too impatient to wait for that!)

Flyer4000 Guest

Nvidias 7950GT is a worth while card I reackon and it should certainly help make FSX look better smoothly. However I'm not sure if it would be able run FSX completely maxed out because I have read people with higher cards like the 7900GTX still not being able to max the settings. I would say its certainly going to be an improvement over what you have already.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

Does anyone have this card at the moment?

I have ordered one and am due to receive it tomorrow, so hopefully it will be here when i get home from work. Ordered from overclockers.co.uk.

I just hope i get the results i want, im not too great with graphics cards!!

Micah

Pro Member First Officer

Good luck Micah

Please consider that many of us have had to play with FSX to get it looking good. You may find that you will need to tweak in order to get it looking visually good and smooth.

In the nVidia control panel you will be able to set the card settings to the best quality. Cards like this are no better than other cards when you use the lower settings. These cards come into their own when you use all the features on them.

Pro Member Trainee
jhausner Trainee

There is nothing on the market today that will run FSX maxed out. Nothing at all. I have 2 x 7900 GTX cards in SLI mode with the fastest AMD processor you can buy (over $1300 price tag) and as much DDR2 Cas2 ram I can cram in my board with a 10k RPM SATA drive, and I still need to tone some things down such as Autogen and detailed textures.

90% of the time my rig smokes at 30-50fps but you notice the struggle even with top of the line in cities with lots of buildings or detail. My machien sputters through Tokyo or New York if I have texture detail maxed out with just 10% traffic density, 2% car traffic, and NO autogen on.

I'd say another 2 or so years before you see machines on the market that can run everything on high and not have issues. On the topic though, the 7950 is a very very nice card and if you are unwilling to wait for a DX10 compliant card, I'd pick it up. Especially at your mentioned price. triple the performance of a 6800 series card + has more bells and whistles.

PA46Driver Guest

jhausner wrote:

There is nothing on the market today that will run FSX maxed out. Nothing at all. I have 2 x 7900 GTX cards in SLI mode with the fastest AMD processor you can buy (over $1300 price tag) and as much DDR2 Cas2 ram I can cram in my board with a 10k RPM SATA drive, and I still need to tone some things down such as Autogen and detailed textures.

90% of the time my rig smokes at 30-50fps but you notice the struggle even with top of the line in cities with lots of buildings or detail. My machien sputters through Tokyo or New York if I have texture detail maxed out with just 10% traffic density, 2% car traffic, and NO autogen on.

I'd say another 2 or so years before you see machines on the market that can run everything on high and not have issues. On the topic though, the 7950 is a very very nice card and if you are unwilling to wait for a DX10 compliant card, I'd pick it up. Especially at your mentioned price. triple the performance of a 6800 series card + has more bells and whistles.

Sorry but that's a load of crap IMO, I built my PC in late June, and I took these shots or New York 6 minutes ago on the same system, all graphics and effects on ultra high, see the frames for yourself (any difference in FPS over 25 is arguably invisible to the human eye) Im running a AMD 5000+, 7950 GX2 graphics card and 2 gb of ram, on Windows XP (so Im only using half of my processor) completely stock.

Pro Member First Officer

Out of interest PA46Driver, what is the Tokyo mission like for you? My FPS drops to 3-4 on that particular mission but I don't seem to have that problem in other built up areas.

PA46Driver Guest

The heli mission? It dips to 11 FPS after I pick up from Narita, its quite a draining mission but not too bad around the landing spots.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

So annoying!!

My wife waited in all afternoon for the delivery of my graphics card, and for the only ten minutes she had to pop out, they tried to deliver!!!!!!!

Now ive got to wait until tomorrow, which is not good. (i know only one more day but......!)

Micah Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member First Officer
Pro-Sim First Officer

Hope you get it soon Micah 😀

I have just ordered a new "Super Computer" in order to be able to get seriously into FSX, and I have ordered the 1Gb version of the Nvidias 7950GT..... I can't believe Graphics Cards are up to 1Gb of memory !!!

2 years ago my main PC RAM was only 256Mb !!

The PC specs I've gone for are listed in my siggie below.

Let us know how things look with your new card Micah...

😀

norwichgooner Guest

Can i ask how much roughly the new PC set you back ?

I am on the look out for a new one (mainly to play FSX) and do not know whether to wait for Vista and DX10 or go for a decent machine now

Do you know when PC's are likely to be sold with Vista and DX10 CARDS included ?

Would be interested to know what your new PC is like when running FSX

Thanks

Pro Member Trainee
ybbor Trainee

I’ve only had fsx for one day now and have been playing with the performance sliders.

My box has a 7900 gpu and 2 ghz core duo. Unfortunately, it appears that fsx does not take advantage of the second core, because cpu1 is pegged, and cpu2 is idle.

I have also noticed that the biggest effect on framerate is the scenery tab. I have everything else maxed (at 1920x1200), but as soon as I start bringing up the scenery tab, my fps drops immensely. The auto-gen scenery is especially painful.

I have been talking to people I know at MS, and it would appear that fsx is most likely CPU limited, not gpu limited for most systems. And for now, is only single threaded. I’m not sure if vista will fix any of this, but I’m hoping so.

-Robby

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

ybbor wrote:

I’ve only had fsx for one day now and have been playing with the performance sliders.

My box has a 7900 gpu and 2 ghz core duo. Unfortunately, it appears that fsx does not take advantage of the second core, because cpu1 is pegged, and cpu2 is idle.

I have also noticed that the biggest effect on framerate is the scenery tab. I have everything else maxed (at 1920x1200), but as soon as I start bringing up the scenery tab, my fps drops immensely. The auto-gen scenery is especially painful.

I have been talking to people I know at MS, and it would appear that fsx is most likely CPU limited, not gpu limited for most systems. And for now, is only single threaded. I’m not sure if vista will fix any of this, but I’m hoping so.

-Robby

Try this and see if it helps.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/21628/dual-core-processors/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Pro-Sim First Officer

Norwich,

My rig (as spec'd below) cost around £1,500.

I'm having it custom made by

....as to whether I can recommend them, I'll let you know once I have the PC !!

😀

Pro Member First Officer

Micah - have you got your new card yet and how is it fairing?

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

ok,

I have the new card and it is amazing. However, FSX still struggles somewhat, and although it runs smoothly now, i still cant have the settings on High like 2004.

I was using my friends 2004 version which he is running with a 128mb graphics card, and it looked better than FSX because of the level of detail, especially at airports.

I am sorely tempted to return to FS9 as i know now that with my new card it will be incredible and will actually seem realistic.

So hopefully that answers your question!!

Micah

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...