Carrier Ops 2004 download

Pro Member Trainee
pilgarlick Trainee

I have tried and tried to install the carrier ops download without success. I can download it without trouble, but simply can't get it to work. I've tried all the usual methods and can see most of the files in the right place, but I can't see the carrier or the aircraft, probably because the aircraft models seem to be missing. Am I being really stupid? Have I missed something obvious? Any advice would be most gratefully received. Thanks. Mike

Answers 24 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

pilgarlick wrote:

I have tried and tried to install the carrier ops download without success. I can download it without trouble, but simply can't get it to work. I've tried all the usual methods and can see most of the files in the right place, but I can't see the carrier or the aircraft, probably because the aircraft models seem to be missing. Am I being really stupid? Have I missed something obvious? Any advice would be most gratefully received. Thanks. Mike

I don't know what 'carrier ops' is, I assume it's an aircraft carrier. In that case, after installation you have to activate the scenery per instructions because aircraft carriers belong into the category of scenery.

Pro Member Trainee
tjnamtiw Trainee

Well, Pilgarlick was no help, was he? I can't seem to get it to work either. I have read 'all five of the text files' in 'Carrier Docs' but they don't tell you a heck of a lot. I put all the files in the same folders as they are labeled. I start out on the hanger deck but don't see any of the military planes as choices. So I taki my Cessna onto the elevator but nothing happens. That's as far as I can get. No military planes, no instructions on how to activate the elevator, and who knows what else.

Pro Member Trainee
tjnamtiw Trainee

Sorry, I meant to say 'Tailhook' wasn't much help. 😂
I removed all of my extra scenery files from the program, but the carrier ops one still remains, for some reason. It's not in the list of scenery files either. Strange......

I wonder if ANYONE has this program installed and working. FS2004 Carrier Ops Full Pack. It's the first one under utilities. It sure sounds good, but doesn't work///// One confusing part is that there are two folders under 'add on scenery' labeled 'scenery' and 'texture', that according to what directions there are should go under 'Add on Scenery'. Then there are two more 'scenery' and 'texture' files in the 'Waikato Carrier' folder, which I assume also goes under the 'Add on Scenery' folder of FS9. Confusing as heck with lousy directions. I guess I'll go back to basic flying. Someone spent a lot of time on this add on only to waste their time by forgetting to give directions for 'normal' people.

Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

Tailhook did say he knew nothing about this product. He also took the time to read this post and reply.

Pro Member Trainee
tjnamtiw Trainee

Yes, I know he took the time to reply but, as I tried to say, he wasn't much help, so is there someone who CAN help those of us who would like to see this mod run? It's a very ambitious project and I would hate to see it fall on its face for lack of some small oversight or misunderstanding.
No insults or slams were intended.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

tjnamtiw wrote:

Yes, I know he took the time to reply but, as I tried to say, he wasn't much help, so is there someone who CAN help those of us who would like to see this mod run? It's a very ambitious project and I would hate to see it fall on its face for lack of some small oversight or misunderstanding.
No insults or slams were intended.

You might find this hard to believe but the problems always start with the enquirer (you in this case) omitting vital information.

Rational thought, logic and a systematic approach is all that's needed.

Filename / Library / Problem (legibly worded) ... What on earth is so difficult about that?

Pro Member Trainee
tjnamtiw Trainee

Well, Tailhook, I tried to be nice, but clearly, even though you admit to not knowing what the program even is, you insist on slamming me for asking a question. Yes, logic and thought enter into the process of computing but you need a starting point, which this program doesn't provide. If you are going to insult me, at least take the time to try the program and see if you can get it to work! Your rank on this forum, I assume, shows that you have been helpful in the past, so all I was asking for is some help.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

If I understand Tailhook (sometimes I do) all he's asking for is where did you download the programe. Avsim, Flightsim??? Or is it a boxed retail version.

With out knowing where you got the programe we can't give detailed instructions.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Alright, calm down calm down. Tailhook was only trying to get the relevant information out of you so he could help!

You probably cant find any military aircraft to fly because the carrier downloads come with AI traffic only. You will have to download a carrier useable aircraft such as the F14B by Rob Barendreght that comes with the relevant catapult and arrestor gauges. (RcBco-11.zip at simviation/avsim or flightsim) can't remember which site sorry, could be all three.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Sorry, forgot about carriers not showing up! If you download Carriers 2006 available at flightsim, just move the "carriers 2006" folder to the addon scenery folder and activate in the normal way. This is an update from carriers 2004 i think, just delete your old carrier scenery and install this new one and you should have no problems.( It works for me).

Pro Member Trainee
tjnamtiw Trainee

Thanks, Welsh flyer. In one of my posts, I said that the program was the first one listed under 'Utilities'. I guess I just ass-u-me's that we were talking about programs on this site. It is right there under FS2004 downloads in the Utilities section.
I run across people on a lot of forums that get frustrated and short with newcomers, so I understand. I also read the 'sticky' post for this forum about civility, but I guess not everyone is a subscriber to that philosophy. So be it. C'est la vie.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Glad to help! Any problems post back and we'll try something else.

Pro Member Trainee
tjnamtiw Trainee

Thanks, I'll keep my eye out for others who may have found a fix or the correct way of doing it. Also, I'll try other options to see if they work. If so, I'll post the solution for others.
I assume you are from Wales. Never got that far in my many trips to England for business and pleasure (canalboating), but maybe next year if I can find a crew to crank the locks. I'm too old for that 'manuel labor'. I steer. 😂

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

I know the feeling!

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

tjnamtiw, i must apologise, i thought this package was one i had already seen and commented before seeing it. Having now seen it and downloaded it to have a look i found that this is not the case.

I think you said the carriers are showing up but the aircraft are not, having now looked at this i can see why!
If you look at any of your other aircraft in FS9 you will see they contain the following files:- model,panel,sound,texture cfg and an air file.
In the ones in this carrier package there are no model files, some have texture files others do not, the panel files only contain a cfg file (with the information for the panel that is supposed to be there but there are no jpg images).Some have air files others don't and so on. So there is no way these aircraft can show up let alone fly.

You now have two options:-

1. Try and download all the missing bits and pieces and try to get them working (good luck with that).

2.Get rid of this package (recommended), download Carriers 2006 and the carrier useable aircraft of your choice.

Sorry could'nt be more help!

Pro Member Trainee
tjnamtiw Trainee

Hi Welshflyer,
I downloaded 2006 per your recommendation and will install it tomorrow after all my 'honey do's ' are completed. 🙄

Thanks for confirming that I wasn't doing anything wrong. It's just a lousy compilation of the program by someone. It probably worked at one time, but as it was passed down the line, things were left out.

Cheers and have a Stout on me,

Tom

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

tjnamtiw wrote:

Well, Tailhook, I tried to be nice, but clearly, even though you admit to not knowing what the program even is, you insist on slamming me for asking a question. Yes, logic and thought enter into the process of computing but you need a starting point, which this program doesn't provide. If you are going to insult me, at least take the time to try the program and see if you can get it to work! Your rank on this forum, I assume, shows that you have been helpful in the past, so all I was asking for is some help.

Well I have to respond and even if it's just to make clear that my 'rank' has absolutely nothing to do with who I am or what I'm capable of or any reflection on my rotten character.

I did NOT slam you for asking a question. By being curt I was actually trying to help you and avoid a lengthy back and forth thread of which we have too many as it is.

Something you couldn't have known is that I never even consider files from THIS library. You probably weren't aware of the fact that one and the same file can go under different file names at different libraries. That's why the file name and the library are important from the outset.

Now I assure you, I have spend many hours with various kinds, incarnations and repackaged carriers from different libraries, hence I know all about 'carrier frustration'. After your initial query I could have written a tome for you to read about my experiences on the subject, but I didn't think that was what you wanted.

You stated in your first post that you: "... can't see the carrier or the aircraft..." which in the case of the carrier would point to the scenery not having been activated. Regarding the invisible aircraft is a different story all together. There is at least one package that actually requires you to additionally download certain aircraft because only those will work with this package. So I thought maybe that's the one you're struggling with. But how am I supposed to know? Guessing just won't do the trick.

I didn't write this as an apology because my arrogance tells me that I have nothing to apologize for... at least not in this case. I typed this to hopefully clear up a few issues and let you know that a trivial misunderstanding doesn't cause me to dislike people.

Should I in the future be able to assist you in anyway, I'll be glad to do so.

🍻

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Tailhook you are a scholar and a gentleman and i'm sure nobody here holds any grudges!

tjnamtiw, just to show it can work i've posted a few screenshots, although i've just discovered half the carriers are,nt there in this one either!

USS Carl Vinson.

Same ship different angle.

Note the catapult gauge just left of HUD.Launch speed can be adjusted, and the arrestor/tailhook gauge to the right of the HUD.

Pro Member Trainee
tjnamtiw Trainee

Hey, Tailhook, we're all nasty old men, at least at heart. Just ask my wife!!! 😛 I'd still buy you a beer someday.

Welshflyer, are those shots from 2004 or 2006 carrier? Either way, I bow to your knowledge. A beer awaits you also.

Thanks,

Tom

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

They are from Carriers 2006, no such thing as greater knowledge it took me weeks to figure it out i just don't want others doing the same thing if there's no need, when the answer is here! I too am a grumpy old man as i've become a grandfather at the ripe old age of 43 (no congrats, i'm still getting used to it) i'll take the beer though!

Pro Member Trainee
tjnamtiw Trainee

I have 20 years more experience at 'grumpiness', Welshflyer! My grandson (9) visited for a week with us and it took weeks to recover. I wish I had just a tenth of his energy.

Tom

N332SW Guest

I heard that RCBo-20 should work in FSX - I was using RCBo-11 and beleive it was giving me memory prob's - anyone know of rev 20 anyone have a link
searching - thx

N332SW Guest

found it at avsim - sry

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Sorry for the delayed reply, i don't really know a lot about RCBo-20 only that i tried it once and could'nt get it to work, thats why i download carrier ready aircraft.Sorry i was no help!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...