so what do you about these graphics cards?

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

I currently have a Geforce 7600 GT (by EVGA) and am in the market for a newer, better card. I'm using Vista 32b Ultimate, Duo 2 Core, 2 gigs of RAM, etc. I enjoy running FSX but looking to improve some smoothness, gain better frame rates, and push a little further on settings with the display. I can't afford that nice 8800 GTS card but was hoping something *close* to that level would be within my budget of about $130.

Which card should I go with?

1. Leadtek GeForce 8500 GT 256MB GDDR2, PCI-E
2. EVGA GeForce 8600 GT 256MB DDR3 / SLI Ready / PCI-E(OC)
3. XFX GeForce 8500 GT 512MB DDR2 / SLI Ready / PCI-E
4. X GeForce 8600 GT / 256MB DDR3 / SLI Ready / PCI-E
5. BFG GeForce 8600 GT OC2 ThermoIntelligence 256MB GDDR3, PCI-E

Kareem

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

well, if you looking to experience DX10 in the next few months, you should save up some extra cash and get the 8800 gts. You will be happy that you did. I don't know if the cards you have listed are DX10 compliant. I have the 8800 gts 640 and I am glad that I got it. The card is unbelievable!

Jetman 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

jetman35 wrote:

well, if you looking to experience DX10 in the next few months, you should save up some extra cash and get the 8800 gts. You will be happy that you did. I don't know if the cards you have listed are DX10 compliant. I have the 8800 gts 640 and I am glad that I got it. The card is unbelievable!

Jetman 😀

Yeah. I believe all Geforce cards at 8500 and up are D10 compliant.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

I have just bought a sapphire x1950 pro (the 256mb ddr3 one) and I am very happy with it. It is not dx10 compliant but with a budget of $130 I think that unfortunately any card you buy wouldnt run dx10 at more than a few fps, sp you are better doing what I did and getting a faster, cheaper dx9 card like the one mentioned above which is very powerful for it's price - about £90 new (probably cheaper in america, us english always get ripped off.)

If you are desperate for dx10 then do as suggested above, but bear in mind the most poweful 8800 cards take up two pciex16 slots in the motherboard, and need two connections from at least a 600w power supply, so the card may not be the only purchase you make.

Pro Member First Officer
abmukh80 First Officer

Dont know too many Nvidia cards, if you ask me I'll go for the ATI x2900xt HD card. Its a ddr-3 512mb DX10 card. Comes with an optional liquid cooling also.

Cheers

Pro Member Trainee
Ravie Trainee

i have the Leadtek Extreme 8600GT.... get 30fps on ultra settings in all areas

running it with budget overclocked cpu... E2160 @ 2.8ghz

the BFG thermo is ur best bet

stretch to a 8600GTS if possible

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

Hey CRJCapt:

nice and very helpful reply.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...