trim?

Hello,

In de flying lesson of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 i constantly see the word "trim" or "trimming".

Can someone explain to me what this means, i think it has something to do with the flaps but im not sure.

thanks for the help ❗

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

In de flying lesson of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 i constantly see the word "trim" or "trimming".

Can someone explain to me what this means, i think it has something to do with the flaps but im not sure.

thanks for the help ❗

As an example when you take off using full power and climb out to the altitude you want you then set your power to cruise
setting. If the plane doesn't level out and maintain altitude you have to "trim" the elevator until the plane will maintain altitude
without you having to use the stick to maintain it. Any change in power settings and you will have to re-trim to maintain
altitude. Once trimmed out properly you can literally fly hands off in calm air.

On the Cessna 172 in the lower center of the panel you will find the elevator trim control. Move your mouse over the
controls and it will highlight the trim control when you find it. If the plane continues to climb trim downward. If it is losing
altitude them trim it upwards.

There is also trim for the rudder and ailerons but the elevator trim is the one you will use most. You may have to use the key
assignments to trim those if needed. Not all planes have those controls on the panel.

Pro Member First Officer
Riclo First Officer

Aloha G, Trimming is the function of maintaining straight and level flight with small air surface controls. They usually are small "control sufaces that are along side the elevator, alerion, and rudder. Ric

thanks, the "trimming" is much clearer to me now 😀

another question:

in the "landing" flying lesson it also mentions: "... don't forget to trim". (to bad you can't copy the text within ms flight simulator)

Is this to maintain your "descending slope" at a constant level?

-extra question: what does the term FS9 mean that i see all over this website, i can't figure out the "9" 🙄

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Anonymous wrote:

thanks, the "trimming" is much clearer to me now 😀

another question:

in the "landing" flying lesson it also mentions: "... don't forget to trim". (to bad you can't copy the text within ms flight simulator)

Is this to maintain your "descending slope" at a constant level?

-extra question: what does the term FS9 mean that i see all over this website, i can't figure out the "9" 🙄

In the flying lesson it tells you to reduce the throttle to 2100 RPM. When you do that you have to trim again for level flight.
Once you start putting the flaps down the plane will start to descend. At this point it is a matter of judgment on keeping the
plane on the proper decent. There are factors here that will vary. How far out you start your final. What altitude you start
your final. You can use the trim to keep the plane on the proper decent. Just watch your speed. This is a critical time not to
stall.

I have FS 2004 A Century of flight, but the folder it goes into is FS9. They are one and the same.

Elkin Guest

A good way to relate to what trim is: Think of an out/inboard boat. You control the angle of the lower unit in the water. you do this so as to have the bow of the boat higher or lower in the water. For better performance.

In the case of an outboard boat where you have to hamfist hold it. ,,, in order to not have to hold it in place, you 'trim' it so it stays where it is without you having to fuscle muck it.

thanks for all the helpfull replies, i finally figured out how to trim 😛

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...