Lining up with the runway on final approach

new simmer Guest

I am new to this, I would really appreciate some help and pointers on how to line up the aircraft on final approach.........
Thanks

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

new simmer wrote:

I am new to this, I would really appreciate some help and pointers on how to line up the aircraft on final approach.........
Thanks

You have asked kind of a broad question. Probably the best thing you could do is go to lessons. They will guide you
through the landing process on the Cessna 172.

By lining up do you mean setting your rate of decent or physically lining up straight with the runway?

Elkin Guest

2 ways.

1- Fly directly to the airport, positively I.D the runway you want to land on and fly away for a bit, note your heading. Turn around at the same bank angle and fly back to the field on the heading opposite in which you flew away from the airport. This is a ,,, way.

2- Use a navaid that is on the field. Such as a LOC, VOR, NDB. Track the navaid to the airport (Obviously track the radial, bearing etc., that is aligned with the runway. Manuever to begin tracking this 'beam' about 20 miles away.

If you want to get real tech, there are the lessons and such. Real world is very similar. You sometimes cannot see the runway until you are right on it.

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Elkin's advice is good......

The only pointers I would add are:-

- The slower you come in, the easier it is to straighten up and descend to the Runway at the right rate.....

- To fly slow, you need to use FLAPS, so if you're flying the Cessna 172, slow to about 90 knts with 1st flap setting, then 75-80 knts with full flaps, this will bring you in nice and steadily, while you straighten up.

New simmer Guest

Thank you all.......

I guess there is no magical formula to do this besides more practice.....I do appreciate your help though......

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

if you want ILS approach help, I made a 6-point guide for it. Ask Radarman, i dont know how to link to it

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...